The Bookworm Belle: Turning Dreams into Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’re back in the swing of things, Gators! Hopefully your first few weeks of class have been great, and you’re beginning to fall back into a routine. I introduced our first book last week, and I hope everyone had a chance to check it out!

There are so many things a college student can learn from reading “The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind” by William Kamkwamba. My favorite thing to take away from Kamkwamba’s story is the idea of setting goals. There were so many moments in the story where William could have easily given up. Not only did he set goals, but he also had continued motivation to go after them regardless of any setbacks he encountered along the way.

One of my favorite parts of Kamkwamba’s journey is when he spends hours and hours at the library reading through textbooks to teach himself about the power of electricity. What an idea, right? I’ve definitely been one to utter the complaint, “Our professor never even taught us that,” as a college student.

After reading Kamkwamba’s story, I encourage you all to take a step back and realize how lucky we truly are as students. We have countless opportunities and unlimited resources at our fingertips for growth and personal gain. All we have to do is go out, and look for them.

Remember to stay motivated throughout this semester. Nothing worth achieving comes easy — stay focused, and set goals for yourself. You’ll be amazed what you can accomplish!

Cover Photo

Desktop Background

As a motivational reminder, I made a personalized Facebook cover photo and desktop image just for you guys! Follow the link to my Flickr Account to download the original image sizes, and look for more custom backgrounds in the future.

www.flickr.com/TheBookwormBelle