The Bookworm Belle: Ernest Hemingway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For the past few years, one of my favorite authors has been Ernest Hemingway. In the spirit of Spring Break 2013, I decided to revisit one of my favorite Hemingway novels, The Old Man and the Sea.

From the cover: The Old Man and the Sea is one of Hemingway’s most enduring works. Told in language of great simplicity and power, it is the story of an old Cuban fisherman, down on his luck, and his supreme ordeal — a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Here Hemingway recasts, in strikingly contemporary style, the classic theme of courage in the face of defeat, of personal triumph won from loss. Written in 1952, this hugely successful novella confirmed his power and presence in the literary world and played a large part in his winning the 1954 Nobel Prize for Literature.

The Old Man and the Sea is a classic that always makes me want to get out and fish, but the first novel I read of Ernest Hemingway’s was The Sun Also Rises, which is still one of my favorite books. Although Hemingway is an absolutely amazing writer, his books aren’t the only reason he is one of my favorite authors. His adventurous life has made him a figure of public admiration, and his boldness will continue his legacy for years to come. He travelled often, remarried even more often (four times, if you were wondering), and created great works reflected of his adventures throughout the duration of his life. If you haven’t read anything by Ernest Hemingway, my recommendation would be to pick up either The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, or The Old Man and the Sea. Hemingway has also published some short stories — most notably “The Killers,” “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber,” and “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” which are on my “to-read list” along with 25 other novels and stories. Oh, the life of a bookworm!

Have I convinced you to become Hemingway-obsessed yet? Well good! Because now you can plan an entire trip to see how the author spent his time in Key West, Florida (or live vicariously through my photos)!

From the 1930s through the 1940s, Ernest Hemingway resided in a beautiful home in Key West that is available to be toured year round. I went over the summer, and it was seriously THE BEST. Even if you’ve only read a few Hemingway pieces, the history surround Hemingway’s life and his house is a great excursion for your trip to Key West!

ABOVE: Front of the Hemingway House, Key West, FL.

ABOVE: There were cats everywhere. Six-toed cats known as Polydactyl cats, to be specific. It is rumored that Hemingway was given one of these cats by a sailor, and now more than fifty descendants of his cat can be found wandering around the property.

ABOVE: Sitting room in the main entrance of the Hemingway house (notice the cat).

ABOVE: Another seating area in the Hemingway living room. The house was so beautiful because of the large windows that made the rooms feel as if they were outside. I couldn’t believe that the house was still standing so well intact after the volatile weather (hurricanes, etc.) that oftentimes past through Key West.

ABOVE: A fireplace for all of those frigid Key West nights. Cue sarcasm.

ABOVE: Hemingway’s personal collection.

ABOVE: The writing room, complete with cat figurine.

ABOVE: It is rumored that Hemingway spent many evenings at Sloppy Joes and only found his way home by locating the lighthouse near his property.

ABOVE: Pretty backyard, complete with more cats!

ABOVE: Obviously, I had to get some Hemingway house souvenirs. Unfortunately, the cats were not for sale.

—————————–

Craving more Hemingway after seeing his Key West mansion? There is also a replica of Hemingway’s ship the ‘Pilar’ on display at the World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada. You can even climb aboard the ship and pretend you’re a Nobel Prize winning author! The Old Man and the Sea is based on the adventures that Hemingway had on board the Pilar.

I hope you enjoyed my post on Ernest Hemingway! My advice? Sit back and enjoy one of Hemingway’s many works with a slice of key lime pie or even an extra-dry martini (Hemingway’s favorite drink).

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.