The Bookworm Belle: Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Are you like me in the fact that you can’t stand to see a movie before you read the book that it’s based on? I was on Pinterest the other day browsing the Books category (naturally) and saw many pins talking about upcoming movie releases based on current and past best-selling novels. This means that in the future, these books will be virtually impossible to check out from the library. Also, they’ll probably lose their original cover art and be replaced with a cover containing either the actors from the movie version or something to that effect — not cool. My recommendation is to read these books now so when their movies hit the box office, you can be that know-it-all friend throughout the film saying, “But that didn’t happen in the book!” or “What do you mean they left out Hermione’s S.P.E.W. in the Harry Potter 6 Movie?! That was my favorite part!” Okay, so maybe that last one is just me. But here, I’ll highlight a few reads I think you should make before these books turn into top box office hits:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

A classic American novel, The Great Gatsby is definitely worth your time to pick up if you haven’t already. I’m really looking forward to the movie adaptation of this film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carey Mulligan – especially since it was originally scheduled for December 2012 but was moved to May 10, 2013.

From the cover: “The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.”

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

This is the sequel to Collins’ first novel, The Hunger Games. Although the first book is definitely my favorite in the trilogy, I feel like you have to finish the three books (if you haven’t already). You’ll probably end up wanting to see Catching Fire in movie form just because of its thrilling storyline. The movie is scheduled for release on November 22 later this year.

From the cover: “Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.”

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

As if I haven’t raved about this book to anyone who’s close enough to listen, I’m posting about it once more to urge you to read this amazing memoir before it becomes a box office hit. Go check it out. Right now. You have time. The release date is expected for sometime in 2015.

From the cover: “Jeannette Walls grew up with parents whose ideals and stubborn nonconformity were both their curse and their salvation. Rex and Rose Mary Walls had four children. In the beginning, they lived like nomads, moving among Southwest desert towns, camping in the mountains. Rex was a charismatic, brilliant man who, when sober, captured his children’s imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and above all, how to embrace life fearlessly. Rose Mary, who painted and wrote and couldn’t stand the responsibility of providing for her family, called herself an “excitement addict.” Cooking a meal that would be consumed in fifteen minutes had no appeal when she could make a painting that might last forever.

Later, when the money ran out, or the romance of the wandering life faded, the Walls retreated to the dismal West Virginia mining town — and the family — Rex Walls had done everything he could to escape. He drank. He stole the grocery money and disappeared for days. As the dysfunction of the family escalated, Jeannette and her brother and sisters had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they weathered their parents’ betrayals and, finally, found the resources and will to leave home.

What is so astonishing about Jeannette Walls is not just that she had the guts and tenacity and intelligence to get out, but that she describes her parents with such deep affection and generosity. Hers is a story of triumph against all odds, but also a tender, moving tale of unconditional love in a family that despite its profound flaws gave her the fiery determination to carve out a successful life on her own terms.

For two decades, Jeannette Walls hid her roots. Now she tells her own story. A regular contributor to MSNBC.com, she lives in New York and Long Island and is married to the writer John Taylor.”

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

I haven’t read Fifty Shades of Grey yet, but the intimate trilogy has quite the fan-base. This is the first book of the trilogy, and judging by the millions of avid fans, I’m sure it will be a huge hit at the movies. Currently, there is a huge Internet following to discover who will play the lead role of Christian Grey in the movie screening. Judging by my research, Daniel Radcliff isn’t in the running to play the lead role, so that’s kind of disappointing… Better luck next time, Harry. The movie is expected to release sometime in 2014.

From the cover: “When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.
This book is intended for mature audiences.”

See any books you haven’t had a chance to pick up yet?
You better start on this list soon so that you’ll be able to say, “I still like the book better than the movie.”

Happy reading!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.