The Bookworm Belle: The App for Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Even though I claim to be a book connoisseur, it wasn’t until recently that I joined the social media site of all media sites: Goodreads.

Goodreads.com is essentially the Facebook of reading. You can add friends, recommend books, share books, join groups of readers, view trending books, and explore genres… Have I talked you into making an account yet?!

Well it gets even better, fellow bookworms. Goodreads has an app available in the iTunes store to download for free! This app took Goodreads to a whole other level for me. Once you set up your account on Goodreads, the app makes it super easy to stay up to date on the latest books.

One of my favorite features of the Goodreads app is using the scan feature to update your virtual shelves. Say you’re at the bookstore and see a book that you think sounds interesting and would eventually like to read. Instead of writing down the title, scan the barcode using your Goodreads app and simply add it to the shelf titled “Want To Read.” This feature is also great to update your “Books I’ve Read” shelf! The possibilities are endless, really. In the photo above, you can see some books from last semester that I’ve scanned onto my “Books I’ve Read” shelf. Not only does this feature serve the purpose of exuding bragging rights to your Goodreads friends, but it also allows you to stay organized if you’re an English major like me and read books on books every semester. Plus, if you see that one of your friends has read a title that you’re interested in, you can see if they’ve recommended the book and even if they’d let you borrow it!

Another really fun part of Goodreads is the explore feature that allows you to see books that are trending in genres, different reading groups, and best of all: Listopia. For someone who is a chronic list-maker, this feature of exploring is amazing! I opened up the explore feature on my Goodreads app (see the above photo) and some pretty great lists came up… “Books You Wouldn’t Let Your Daughter Read”? Definitely checking that list out immediately.

I obviously can’t say enough good things about this site and app. I recommend making an account regardless of whether you’re an avid bookworm or just enjoy a good read every now and then. Make sure you have a few hours to spare before being productive again, because Goodreads will get you hooked! Happy reading!!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.