The Bookworm Belle: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I hope your Spring Break was full of sunshine and good books! I personally brought quite the library to Key West, and I loved every minute of poolside reading. This week’s book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, is the story of a Native American teenager, Junior, who is caught in an identity crisis once he decides to stop attending the local Native American reservation school in exchange for an education at the all-white school miles away from his home and culture. This novel is perfect for Her Campus collegiettes™ because it perfectly describes the many transitions we make as young adults into a world of uncertainty and doubt. Junior often experiences insecurity about his loss of friendships and sense of personal identity throughout the novel, which may remind you of some of the same worries you felt when first arriving at UF.

Why you should read it: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie is a heartfelt story about growing up and making decisions. Who can’t relate to that in college? Although reading about Junior’s struggle to find himself is sad at times, the book is refreshing because it describes the struggle of young adulthood in a way that will make you feel connected and not as alone. Alexie’s depiction of reservation life is also extremely vivid; you’ll feel as if you’re walking along the Spokane Indian Reservation right there with him! The book is also illustrated with cartoons that play off of the book’s humor. This is the second novel of Alexie’s that I’ve read, and I would go as far to say that he is one of my new favorite authors. I highly recommend this book, and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did.

From the back cover: “In his first book for young adults, bestselling author Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author’s own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings by acclaimed artist Ellen Forney, that reflect the character’s art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he was destined to live. Next week I’ll be reviewing one of my favorite works of adolescent literature, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. You’ll be mesmerized by the depiction of reservation life and the search to find true identity, so start reading!”

HCxo,The Bookworm Belle

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.