This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Around the world, people are being advised to stay at home to slow the spread of COVID-19.

As a result, many are finding themselves with extra time on their hands and might be unsure of what to do with it.

From home improvement projects to simple arts and crafts, people are getting creative with the materials they have at home to keep themselves busy. 

Many people are also turning to the stacks of unread books in their homes.

With so much extra time, one of the best ways to keep yourself busy while doing something enriching is to read!

Personally, one of my goals for 2020 is to read a book a week.

Due to social distancing and the extra bit of time I have on my hands, I’ll undoubtedly be able to surpass this goal!

Here’s a list of a few of the best books I’ve read recently that are sure to keep you reading for hours on end:

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara 

This is one of my favorite books of all-time, and it’s one that I recommend to nearly everyone.

It’s over 800 pages long, but don’t let that deter you from picking it up and giving it a read!

The story follows four young men, Jude, Willem, JB, and Malcolm throughout their adult lives, but the focus shifts from the four of them to one of the boys – Jude – early on in the story.

Jude is a young man who comes from a troublesome past that is kept secret from nearly everyone in his life.

Over time, secrets are revealed, backstories are told, and the stakes are high throughout the story.

All four of them become wildly successful in their respective job fields, which adds a welcome flair and air of surrealness that makes this book so special.

Another unique aspect of this book is that there is no indication as to when it takes place in time.

It could be set way in the past or far in the future, and this adds so much depth to the story and its characters.

While this is one of my favorite books, I will include that this novel includes themes of depression, addiction, self-harm, and violence.

If any of these may be triggering or harmful to you in any way, I’d recommend skipping this book and going for something that has a more uplifting and positive vibe.

The Library Book by Susan Orlean

As a lifelong lover of books, I found this to be one of the most accurate portrayals of what it’s like to see the magic in books and libraries.

The history of the Los Angeles Central Library is outlined in this book while also telling the story of the detrimental fire that took place in 1986 and how the library and the city of Los Angeles came together to rebuild one of the most important parts of their city.

An astonishing number of books were lost in this fire that blazed for over seven hours, but a lot was also gained as a result of the fire.

The sheer importance of libraries and their vital role in our communities becomes clear in this book, and I have an even deeper appreciation for librarians and all those who contribute to the success of libraries around the world. 

Mostly Dead Things by Kristen Arnett

Set in central Florida, this novel follows a young woman and her family as they deal with the tragic loss of her father and grapple with the legacy he left behind.

Jessa-Lynn spent most of her time in her father’s taxidermy shop while growing up, and she took it over after his death.

Jessa’s mother and brother are also dealing with the loss, and they experience their grief in different ways.

This novel was quaint and interesting, and one of the best parts of it was the mention of Gainesville, the Florida Gators, and UF landmarks such as Paynes Prairie.

I had no clue where the novel was set going into this book, so it was incredible to see things that are so familiar to me mentioned in this book! 

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

I read this book a few weeks ago over spring break and still think about it daily.

It was recommended to me by one of my good high school friends, Riya, and I am so glad that she introduced it to me!

It is a memoir that details Kalanithi’s life as a young neurosurgeon who ends up battling metastatic lung cancer.

Although you go into the book knowing he died of cancer in 2016, the message that lives on through Kalanithi’s words will stay with me forever.

Faced with adversity, Kalanithi remains hopeful and continues practicing his passion for neurosurgery.

From being a neurosurgeon who works with numerous patients and has given many diagnoses throughout his career, Kalanithi becomes the patient and has to learn how to live with that new reality.

It is a wonderful and special book, and I read it all in one sitting.

If you’re looking for a powerful read, I highly recommend When Breath Becomes Air.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

I read this book last semester while taking Facets of Sustainability, and I absolutely loved it.

It talks about the relationship between humans and the world we live in, and it was captivating throughout.

I learned so much through each and every chapter, and I now see the world in a different way.

Ishmael heavily references environmentalism and our relationships with other species, and I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in sustainability.

Life lessons are woven into this short book, and I know they will guide the direction of my life from here on out. 

Jessica Hernandez is a University of Florida Senior doublte-majoring in Economics and Sustainability Studies. She has a heart for activism, is an avid reader, a lover of vegan food, and a member of the rock climbing team at UF. She can often be found reading books in her hammock or trying vegan food at restaurants in Gainesville.