The Best Things About Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With these dreary January days rolling by, sometimes it’s hard to find joy while waiting in the cold weather for your morning bus. But winter is a great time of year, and there are lots of little winter-only occasions and moments you should take the time to appreciate.

You’re not sweating within five minutes of being outside. Sure it might be hard to get out of bed when it’s 30 degrees outside, but at least walking to get the mail won’t leave you completely drenched in sweat. It’s a nice relief to not have to change your shirt five times in one day because of sweat. Take advantage of this cooler weather by spending more time outdoors. The afternoons are especially nice this time of year, and it’s a great study break to sit outside for a bit with a nice book. And if you accidentally skip your deodorant in the morning, it’s not as grossly noticeable.

It actually makes sense to order a hot drink. Ordering a hot beverage in Florida usually does not end well. Most of the time, it’s too muggy to even drink hot coffee, even if you’re really craving a warm drink. But for a few months in winter, getting a hot drink is the best part of the day. You can finally enjoy that peppermint mocha the way it was meant to be enjoyed — while shivering and waiting for the bus.

It’s finally time to rock that cute jacket. We probably all have at least one fabulous jacket in our closet that never sees the light of day, but now is the time for that jacket to shine. There are so many cute outfit options that are just not practical in 80-degree weather, but are absolutely perfect for an estimated high of 51 degrees. It’s time to bring out that sweater dress, those tights, the knee-high boots and your leather jacket.

Boys step up their fashion game. It’s a bit harder for dudes to show up to an 8:30 a.m. class in basketball shorts and T-shirts when it’s below freezing (although some still do — props to them). This is personally my favorite time of year because nothing is more attractive than a well-dressed man, and jackets always seem to do the trick. Nothing says brooding, attractive movie star than a leather jacket and tousled hair. Enjoy the view.

You can go for weeks without the pressure to shave. The cold weather usually means long pants or tights and long-sleeved shirts, which in turn hides parts of your body that are usually shaved. Though you should never feel pressured to shave if that’s not your thing, winter months give everyone an extra excuse. Now your four pack of razors can last an extra month.

You can wear winter accessories without looking weird. I don’t know about you, but I keep a drawer full of warm gloves, hats, scarves and socks in anticipation of the cold winter months. It’s just not comfortable or practical to wear a scarf in the summer in Florida. But when winter rolls around, it’s not only stylish, but it’s also a necessity. Now’s the time to bring out those accessories that don’t usually see the light of day during the rest of the year.

Less humidity means less frizzy hair. If you have thick, unruly hair, you know the constant struggle of frizz during the humid months. But now that the weather’s dry and cold, hair actually decides to behave for once. Finally, it’s time to try out cute Pinterest-inspired braids and updos that look super cute underneath a hat.

Even though Florida doesn’t have the full winter experience, you can still enjoy the small perks of winter. Just remember while you’re shivering on the way to class that at least you look cute and your hot tea is going to taste fantastic.

Photo credit: sarahrooftops.co.uk

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.