On Being Your Own Personal Hype Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Within our daily lives, it’s easy to forget our strengths. We can focus on the negative aspects, more than the positive. This is why it’s important to be your own personal hype woman. We all have the ability to do great things. Sometimes we need a little push, and sometimes it needs to be from who knows us best — ourselves.

Being your own personal hype woman can seem like a dumb thing to do, but when you’re confident everything goes much smoother. Whether I’m going to an interview or trying to complete a challenging homework assignment, I tend to make myself feel bad about it. I realized I felt better when I was confident about what I was doing. Here are some small but significant ways to inspire yourself — or a friend — to tackle the day with positivity.

1. Pep talks

Picture this: You’re about to go to an interview. You’re nervous and rightfully so. You’re dressed to the nines, but you just can’t get rid of that anxious feeling. 

Interviews scare me. Some people are naturally great at them, but I get super anxious and think about all the dumb things I might say. I came up with the great solution of giving myself a pep talk. It sounds ridiculous, but I stand in front of my mirror and talk out whatever I’m about to go through. When you put the whole situation into perspective and realize that you’re going to give it your all, everything feels better. I look in the mirror and acknowledge my strengths. This helps me get through a lot. It calms my nerves and makes me feel way more confident. You may feel stupid at first, but it actually helps. Trust me on this one and give it a try.

2. Jam sessions

We all have those guilty pleasure songs that we can’t help but listen to constantly. I have certain songs that just put me in a better mood. Listening to music can make me feel better almost instantly. Hyping myself up through music is something I do every day. A good song will come on and I’ll suddenly get a wave of happiness. 

I have loved the Jonas Brothers since I was 10, and nothing has changed. If I need a pick-me-up, I can press play on “Year 3000” and I’ll feel better. 

We all know that music can be therapeutic. You can hype yourself up by listening to a song that you can’t live without. Your mood will be boosted, and you’ll feel like you can conquer the world. 

3. Dress up, even when you don’t have to

When I look good, I feel good. If I’m feeling down about myself I tend to sit around in a baggy t-shirt and think about everything that’s wrong. Don’t get me wrong, relaxing in a t-shirt is one of my all-time favorite things to do. However, I’ve noticed that I feel better about myself when I put in the effort. Sometimes, I’ll have to dress up or put on makeup for an event, and I’ll realize after that I was feeling much more confident in myself. Due to this realization, I’ll sometimes try a little bit more on my look, even when I have no reason to.

I usually wear no makeup to class. I’ll roll out of bed and leave my apartment. Once in a while though, I’ll do something simple, like wear mascara. 

If you’re not someone that dresses up or wears makeup, that’s totally okay. There are other ways you can dress up. It can be something as small as wearing a cool pair of shoes you haven’t worn in a while. When we add excitement in what seems like a dull routine, we can hype ourselves up to be better. 

There are so many ways that we can hype ourselves up, and these are just a few things I enjoy doing. Being your own hype woman is something that you can decide to do now. If you’re trying to make yourself feel better, it will happen. Having positive thoughts can help. 

In society today, it’s easy to compare ourselves to others. Whether it’s based on looks or success, we naturally compare. We need to stop doing this and start comparing ourselves to who we want to be. By being a hype woman of your own life, you can turn your mood around instantly.