etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bathing Suits: Finding Your Best Beach Body Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For the past three weeks, finding an open elliptical or Stairmaster at Southwest Recreation Center has been practically impossible. As spring break nears, college girls swarm the gym in desperate attempts to perfect their bodies before setting off on their tropical getaways. But, what if I told you, there’s a way to emphasize your body’s attributes or camouflage its flaws without doing one more dreaded sit-up? Believe it or not, simply picking out the right bathing suit cut for your body type can revamp your body image just in time for spring break. Here’s a few tips on how to work with your body’s natural curves, or lack of, to look your best on the beach this season:

BUSTIER CHEST: Although those who lack a full B-cup gawk jealously at women blessed with a full set of double Ds, bustier girls can often be self-conscious of their breasts, especially during bathing suit season. Finding both a flattering and an appropriate bathing suit top can be a challenge when you’re worrying about too much cleavage or not enough support. I recommend finding solid color, halter-top bikinis with an underwire. This type of top will cover the essentials while simultaneously providing the much-needed support. Sticking to solid colors will also keep from drawing too much attention to your chest. One particular brand known for bikini tops perfect for a fuller-chest is Body Glove. The bathing suit tops start at about $40. Although the price seems a little steep, the quality is great, and I guarantee you will love the way it accentuates your bust.

FLAT CHESTED: Finding the bathing suit top with the most padding you can find is not necessarily the best way of dealing with a flat chest. Finding bathing suit tops with bold patterns can give the illusion of a bustier chest. Ruffled tops can also give you some added volume. Take advantage of the fact that you don’t have to worry about supporting a heavy chest, this gives you the opportunity to try new and unique bathing suit cuts.

FLAT BOTTOM: The last thing you want to worry about while taking a stroll on the beach is a saggy-looking bikini bottom. Not only is it unflattering, but it’s embarrassing. For girls unsatisfied with their meager glutes, try shopping for ruffled bottoms that will add some volume to your derriere. Also, ruching has become a popular sewing technique used for bathing suit bottoms. Ruched bottoms give the illusion of a well-rounded rear.

BIG BOOTY: Just as was recommended for bustier chests, try to stick to solid colors because patterns can often make your body appear larger. Also, avoid horizontal stripes at all costs; they make even the thinnest women look wider. If you’re pear-shaped, expert stylists recommend looking for darker colors on the bottom with a pattern on top. Wearing a pattern on top will draw the eye away from your lower-body while also accentuating the solid colored bathing suit bottom.  

Spring break starts after class gets out today, so you may find it more worthwhile to spend the time you have left looking for the right suit rather than trying to sweat out a couple of pounds before leaving. Above all, confidence is what you’re looking for, and if you can’t find it in the natural curves of your body, find it in what you wear.

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.