This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You’re finally 21… Congratulations! Now you can legally explore bars and spoil your palette with a variety of drinks. But like any new experience, it can be somewhat of an intimidating one. Don’t worry collegiettes; this week we’ll explore how to make it through the bars and still keep it classy!

Dress code: Essentially you can wear what you want, but make sure you know where you’re going ahead of time. Some bars are more laid back than others. You don’t want to be extremely over- or underdressed for the occasion. Ask your friends ahead of time or quickly search online for where you’re going so you don’t feel out of place. I’m sure you’ve heard the expression “less is more,” but this doesn’t apply to your outfit when you’re out at the bars. You want to draw the right attention not just because you show more skin. You can still look fabulous without showing too much!

Method of Payment: It’s always a good idea to bring cash with you to bars. Not only is it an easy way to control your spending, but it’s also easier to tip with cash. If you prefer to pay using your debit or credit card, open a tab. When you choose this option, you only have to tip once for your total bill instead of tipping every time you order a drink. This way you keep track of your spending, and you don’t go overboard when you tip. Take smaller denominations, so you don’t have to worry about breaking a larger bill.

Amount of “drinkage”: Decide ahead of time how many drinks you can handle for the night. You don’t want to be that girl who drinks too much and ends up puking her guts out or making out with random guys at the bar. It may be a challenge to be rational after having more than a couple drinks, so do yourself a favor: Before you go out, decide how many drinks you can handle and stick to that decision throughout the night despite any pressure you get from friends. A fixed amount of alcohol will have a completely different effect on you than the 300-pound football player taking shots at the bar. If you’re having more than one drink, remember to drink lots of water afterwards.

Your surroundings: You’re at a bar. Chances are someone may try to pick you up or just be a total creep. Make sure you’re alert and paying attention to who is around you. More importantly, never ever leave your drink unattended. If you accidently put it down somewhere, just leave it there and buy another one. You never know… Someone may spike your drink without you knowing. Be cautious when a guy offers to buy you a drink. If you accept it, make sure you take the drink directly from the bartender. All it takes is a second for someone to slip something in your drink.

Most importantly, remember that drinking and driving is not worth it. Be safe, collegiettes!

I'm passionately curious. www.StephanieTinoco.com www.Facebook.com/StephanieTinocoNEWS @tinocosc StephanieTinoco@mail.com
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.