Wellness

A Balancing Act: Managing Your Priorities in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’ve all been there. You’ve got three exams this week, an essay due at midnight and several club meetings to attend. What’s more, you also need to work out, eat a healthy dinner, practice your skincare routine and ensure you’re taking time to spend with those you love, embodying “living in the moment” to a tee. You may come to a point where you’re wondering how you’ve dug yourself into this monotonous cycle of panic and accomplishment. Do me a favor and climb up the ladder I just tossed you, we’re getting out of this together.

It’s more than easy to bite off more than you can chew. You attend general body meeting after general body meeting and suddenly (very fitting for a Florida Gator) you’re swamped! This leads me to my first point:

Get involved in clubs & involvements you feel truly passionate about

The cliché “do something you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life” exists for a reason. I understand the grounds behind wanting to get involved so you have things to put on your resume, I really do. However, there is a large fault in this logic. If you are lacking passion for the clubs you’re in, not only will all the time you dedicated seem like work and the opposite of fun, but it will show. Involvement is not just writing on a piece of paper. In job interviews, you will be asked to explain what you gave to the club and how it was a mutually beneficial relationship. They will see right through you if you are only doing it for the resume clout. Do yourself a favor and drop those “half-involvements” for something you’re willing to jump in the deep end for.

Learn that it’s okay to say no

Saying no can be hard. But when it comes to the point where you’re prioritizing unnecessary favors over your mental health, that is when you know to call it quits. I promise if you take the time to explain why you have to say no, everyone will understand. I want to make it clear that I’m not saying to never help anyone out. If you have the room in your schedule that you are willing to dedicate, by all means, go ahead! But when you’re drowning in assignments with a checklist in hand, grab the floatie, not the dumbbell. You have to start putting your mental and physical wellbeing as your first priority. If you are giving from an empty cup you may be helping less than you believe. But if you’re taking the time to nurture yourself, you’ll have more time, energy and love to give! This leads me to my next point.

Schedule time to do nothing

I, like everyone, love a good self-care-sesh. Sometimes you want nothing more than to take a blazing hot shower, put on a facemask and watch TikTok in bed. But it’s easy to say goodbye to those tasks in favor of all-nighters in Marston. This is why you should put them on your calendar. Hear me out! Write down a date and time you’re going to take for yourself. Don’t cross it out or cancel it until it’s done. Basically, I am asking you to treat self-care like an assignment. You can study all day, but when it comes time to relax and get a good night’s sleep, it’ll leave you rejuvenated and at peace with yourself, leading you to be far more productive than you were before. Believe it or not, it can be productive to do nothing! 

These tips completely changed the way I thought about college involvement and self-care in college. I hope you use them and through this, have learned that when the going gets tough, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and a hand reaching out to help. You got this.

Shay is a second year advertising major, leadership minor. She likes traveling, eating vegetarian food, and petting her dog, Ziggy. She hopes to pursue a career in account management after graduating.