Style

Babushkas Are In: 5 Ways to Style This Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There is an unexpected street style trend taking over the rap world and the runway this year — the babushka. The word “babushka,” which translates to “grandmother” in Russian, refers to a headscarf usually tied under the chin. It is typically worn by grandmothers in Eastern European countries. 

In recent months, pop culture figures like A$AP Rocky, Kendall Jenner and Frank Ocean have been spotted with these stylish scarves. A$AP Rocky has been very vocal about his love for the wrapped scarf and showed it off in a released song. It can seem difficult to incorporate a babushka into your style, but here are a few examples of how to make it a staple part of your wardrobe. 

Monochromatic

A monochromatic outfit is effortlessly chic. With fall in full swing, warm and soft tones like camel, navy, caramel and taupe are the perfect choices to make a tonal look work. A midi wrap dress like this one from & Other Stories accessorized with a babushka of a similar shade can elevate a tone-on-tone outfit. 

Pop of color 

Subdued colors are great for a babushka look, but a scarf with a pop of color can upgrade any day-to-day outfit. If you feel like it’s a “skinny jeans and a white t-shirt” kind of day, try adding a babushka with bright yellows, blues and reds like this one from Madewell. You can tie the scarf the traditional way with a knot under your chin or wrap it like a bandana.

Floral

A floral look, like the one pictured, is inspired by the traditional styles of babushkas, which usually have a combination of floral and geometric patterns. 

The outfit pictured looks great because it combines denim with a soft satin scarf. You can achieve the same look with a cute pair of overalls. The outfit, which has been toned-down, will make this hair accessory shine while giving you a soft appearance. Traditional babushkas aren’t easy to find in the U.S., but websites like Etsy and eBay have many different ones that can be purchased — if you don’t have a trip to Poland planned anytime soon.

Fun & fresh

Babushkas are a funky way to spice up an outfit, but wearing one with an adorable design can elevate it that much more. A white embroidered dress like this one from Lulus and these Steve Madden espadrille platform sandals will give off that bohemian vibe. This babushka with a bird print from Madewell will perfectly emulate that free spirit of yours.

Ready for business

Scarves have always been the go-to accessories for women in suits. A silk babushka around the head can be as equally striking as a scarf styled around the neck. A black suit can easily match with any style of babushka. This snake print headscarf or this cheetah print headscarf will turn this “loving grandma” accessory into a “strictly business” one. 

A daring accessory of Hollywood starlets and Russian grandmas, this knotted headscarf will be the newest trend to add to your fall wardrobe. 

Jana is a graduate from the University of Florida with a degree in biology and a certificate in Spanish. She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, entertainment, the environment and everything in between.