Artists Among Us: Kelly O’Brien

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As a child, her parents called her “Doodle.”

From the moment Kelly O’Brien picked up a pencil, she picked up a lifelong passion and a future career.

“I’ve always been drawing my whole life,” she said, “I used to want to be a lot of different things, but I think it was senior year of high school I decided I wanted to be an art teacher.”

The 21-year-old drawing major said she sees herself teaching higher education after receiving her masters degree. Although she has an appetite for inspiring others, actively creating her own work is what consumes her time, thoughts, and wallet. She said she knows all too well that “the starving artist” is more than just a phrase.

“It’s funny because if I had $10 left, I would probably buy paint,” she said. “Not food.”

It’s her top priority, O’Brien said. Her backpack guards a sketchbook at all times; her hands are often stained with tinted splatters; and, her dinner may consist of only a strawberry Pop-Tart, but she said none of these things matter when she is behind an easel.

O’Brien said she once spent 82 hours straight – without sleep – on a project for class. But even without an assignment deadline, she often loses perception of time.

“I could spend seven hours on something and not even realize it,” she said. “I can spend hours upon hours on something, and not even think about food, other people, anything – I’ll just be in the zone.”

However, O’Brien said it’s also important for artists to know when to step away. Otherwise, a painting may never be done, and therefore, the artist’s job never finished.

It is that cycle that fascinates O’Brien, she said. Something can always be changed, added, or taken away. And depending on her current mood or artistic influence she’s following, she will explore different mediums of art as well.

“I’m different from each piece to each piece,” she said. “I’m not going to make anything the same way twice. Ever.”

O’Brien explained how she often draws inspiration from other artists with a different style. Her touch tends to be light, her subjects soft. But she constantly tries new techniques and concepts. She explained how she recently tried to embody the style of an Australian painter whose work juxtaposes her own.

“I could be stuck doing my own thing forever and be content with that, but I’m never going to grow (that way),” she said. “I usually try to pick artists completely opposite from myself.”

However, an attempted approach at another artist’s method isn’t the same between two creators, just as it’s different for two viewers. O’Brien said inaccuracy and imperfections can be good, and ambiguity can be interpreted in multiple ways.

But she urges her peers to spend a little more time thinking about art, rather than passing by with a message unnoticed.

According to a study by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the general public spends about 15-17 seconds looking at a painting.

O’Brien’s trips to museums and galleries are slightly more time-consuming. After studying abroad in Florence, Italy, she had the opportunity to visit the Louvre in Paris. She watched as people flocked to the Mona Lisa and left. But she said there were better da Vinci works in the next room over. And locally, she said, gallery openings often have artists there to ask questions about work or museums have statements about a collection, but attendees pass by.

Whether creating or viewing, art is something O’Brien said she does not only to impact others, but also for herself.

“It’s like that for anyone with a passion,” she said. “No one can take this away from me. This will always be a part of my life.”

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.