Style

Animal Print is Back: Here Are 4 Ways You Can Rock It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Spring style is generally known for its flower patterned outfits and airy hues. But this spring, animal print makes a huge comeback. It made its mark on the runway during Paris fashion week and again when celebrities like Kim Kardashian wore head-to-toe leopard print for an outing in the city.

If you’re looking to add a little edge to your spring wardrobe, here are some outfit ideas that can upgrade your closet.

1. Grunge meets wild

This is an everyday look that takes ‘90s fashion and gives it a modern twist with leopard print. Jump start your look with this high-waisted leopard print maxi skirt from Nasty Gal, and pair it with this black graphic tee also from Nasty Gal. For a grunge element, tuck the tee, and add this black belt with its western inspired design on the buckle. A grunge fashion staple finishes off the look – chunky boots. These classic black Doc Martens get the job done and make you look as if you’re stylishly ready for a Nirvana concert.

2. 101 Dalmatians – Cruella de Vil

You should definitely add to your list of animal print inspo a villain who’s a true fashion killer (literally) and one of the most stylish Disney movie antagonists. A white fur coat in the spring weather might not be your best option. Instead, opt for this cropped denim jacket in Dalmatian print, and get this matching ruffled mini skirt. Complete the look with this black bandeau crop top from PrettyLittle Thing and these red J. Reneé ankle strap sandals from Nordstrom. You can go a step farther, and play with this red belt bag from Zara to imitate Cruella’s red, white and black ensemble.

3. Accessories

Another subtle, yet impactful way to incorporate animal print into your outfit is by accessorizing.

Scarf hair ties and scrunchies have been very trendy hair accessories for a while now. You can combine these two trends with animal print, using this cute leopard bow scrunchie from Urban Outfitters. You can also accessorize with shoes, making a muted outfit a little louder. Snake print shoes like these ones from PrettyLittle Thing can elevate a combo as simple as a top and jeans.

4. Colored

A post shared by ?????? (@elyshamarie) on

Animal print and bright colors also make a great combination that takes a low-key look to the next level. Get your hands on this unique rich red leopard print denim jacket from Nordstrom Rack, and settle with these high-rise black jeans from Topshop. A bandeau top like this one from PrettyLittle Thing with a crossover wrap detailing completes the outift and creates the perfect night out look.

Don’t shy away from experimenting with animal prints this spring, and try to mix it up with your own style. From ‘90s inspired trends to bold Disney villain looks, there’s something out there for everyone.

Jana is a graduate from the University of Florida with a degree in biology and a certificate in Spanish. She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, entertainment, the environment and everything in between.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.