This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Isabel Betancourt has been chasing her dream since she was 5 years old.

Now a 19-year-old wildlife ecology and conservation sophomore at the University of Florida, Betancourt spends 10 hours a week volunteering at UF’s Small Animal Hospital with one goal: becoming a veterinarian.

The road to animal rehabilitation started in high school. At 15, she accepted an internship at Zoo Miami, the only tropical zoo in the continental United States.

She worked there for two years, shadowing caretakers and assisting zookeepers. When she started school at UF, she began volunteering in the animal hospital’s zoological medicine unit.

Betancourt helped evaluate wild animal species like gopher tortoises, red-shouldered hawks and rabbits.

The team took in bald eagles sometimes, and Betancourt was there to experience it.

“The vets were so calm while they examined it,” Betancourt said. “I’ve never seen such a large bird. The fact that they knew how well it behaved and were so sure of themselves was amazing.”

Betancourt currently volunteers in the UF hospital’s intensive care unit, which sees domestic animals like dogs and cats.

“Honestly, everyday is a new learning experience,” Betancourt said.

Betancourt said girls looking to get involved on campus should join organizations specific to their interests. She said she volunteers because it gives her valuable experience.

“Networking is huge outside of college,” Betancourt said. “Knowing people in your field can only help you in the long run.”

After graduating from UF, Betancourt’s goal is getting into one of the only 28 vet schools in the U.S. Her top choices include UF, North Carolina State and the University of Georgia.

“If I don’t get in the first time, I’ll just keep trying,” she said.  “This is what I want to do.”

She offered advice for students looking to catch a big break in their field.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a huge deal what you end up doing as long as you end up doing what you love,” Betancourt said. “Even if I don’t get into vet school, I’m still going to work with animals. Enjoy what you do and the road to getting there. Don’t kill yourself for it.”