Amanda Mesa: The Girl Downtown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

House music, a genre of electronic dance music that has evolved from underground party playlist to mainstream club staple, has taken over nightlife across the nation with its innovative mixes and famous festivals. Its world of celebrity DJs, wild crowds and electronic beats caught the attention of University of Florida freshman Amanda Mesa, an 18-year-old journalism student whose love of music led to a fascination with the constantly evolving house culture.

“There’s nothing else like it,” Mesa said. “Break beats, turntables, auto trackers; there’s so many parts that make it up.”

The crowds, the music, the energy; it all culminates in an experience unlike any ordinary live music performance. A full-time student by day, Mesa spends her nights hopping from club to club, chronicling the people behind the music for her blog, the DJ Diaries.

The idea for the project came unexpectedly enough. While riding a bus home to Fort Lauderdale one weekend, the 18-year-old journalism major decided to pass the time watching a documentary; “Pump Up the Volume: The History of House Music.”

She was hooked. Mesa had already been exposed to plenty of house music while growing up in the Miami area with parents who listened to everything from tech-house to disco, and now she was developing her own tastes in everything from house to hip-hop.

While the genre itself was gaining a lot of attention, Mesa noticed that no one was getting the stories of what it took to make it all happen. The people behind the music – DJs, producers and promoters – turned into inspiration for the creation of her website.

“I wanted to hear their stories and see what their lives are like,” Mesa said.

Her first interview was the result of a Facebook message and a dash of good luck. Local DJ Adrian Villaverde, who DJs at Forum every Saturday night and opened for Alesso, a globally recognized DJ, in early February, agreed to meet with Mesa. After an interview over dinner and a stop at Sharab before Villaverde’s show, Mesa had made a pivotal connection into the downtown house scene and a new friend.

Now her blog stands as a collection of interviews, pictures, music samples and quotes from some of the most recognized local and international DJs.

It’s not only business, though. Amanda sometimes spends hours with her subjects, scoping the crowd out from the DJ booth and sitting with the DJs backstage before they perform. The same artists she interviews can also be found on her iPod, so it’s refreshing to hear from icons in the house music scene about familiar problems like balancing classes with late nights and striving to stay on a high level of creativity.

“It’s always a blast to do the interviews,” Mesa said. “I get to know them as people, not just the music. I found that to be the most interesting part of all.”

Talking about everything from beat inspiration to advice for up-and-coming DJs to what it takes to pack a house, Mesa hopes to give readers an entirely new perspective on what it takes to make house music.

Her writing has done more than just gain respect from local music lovers – she was approached by national night-lifestyle website Joonbug.com to interview house artists and was even sent to Ultra as a correspondent. Her press pass was a childhood dream come true, giving her access to the photo pit, the press tent and the freedom to come and go as she pleased.

“It was my first time going to Ultrafest. I’ve wanted to go since 7th grade,” Mesa said. “Having all access, as well as getting to meet and talk to some of the artists I listen to on my iPod, I feel beyond fortunate.”

While at the festival, Mesa interviewed internationally acclaimed techno DJ and producer UMEK backstage in his trailer, saw favorites like Skrillex, 12th Planet, Duck Sauce, Eric Murillo, and Carl Cox perform, and took in the thriving atmosphere. She was also able to interview Andy C (a pioneer in drum and bass from the UK), one of the members of the Swedish group Little Dragon, and dub step duo Zeds Dead. Mesa also interviewed John Dahlback at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. For Mesa, the whole experience still seems surreal.

“I’m just going where it takes me,” Mesa said. “Everything has been so great this far, now I’m just waiting to see what else comes my way.”

You can check out the DJ Diaries for yourself at thegirldowntown.tumblr.com.