Alligator Newspaper Sports Staff Writer Morgan Moriarty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Morgan MoriartyAge: 22Year: seniorMajor: telecommunicationHometown: Orlando, FL

Her Campus: What is your position on campus?Morgan Moriarty: “I’m an Alligator staff writer covering Gator football as well as college football on a national level.”

HC: How did you get involved with the Independent Florida Alligator newspaper?MM: “I was covering the 2013 Under Armour Combine, one of the biggest high school recruiting events in the country each year, for NBC Sports Radio in Ocala, and I was live tweeting the practices. From there, an Alligator sports staff member saw what I was tweeting and thought I’d be perfect to cover the high school football recruiting beat for them. So after the recruiting cycle was over, I began covering Gator spring football since I had experience covering the team for two seasons before that for a couple of different outlets. I was hired as a full time staff writer after my first semester with The Alligator.”

HC: What is your favorite part of writing for the newspaper?MM: “Getting the opportunity to travel to some of the best college towns in the SEC this football season. I’ve been able to see Bryant-Denny Stadium, Neyland Stadium and Vanderbilt Stadium this fall. Meeting their fans, getting to see how other SEC folks tailgate — it’s been an absolute blast. “

HC: And the biggest challenge?MM: “My biggest challenge is getting people to take me seriously when it comes to talking football, or just sports in general. Sports media, despite more and more women being around it, is still very much a male-dominated industry. However, once people start listening they usually find that I actually know what I’m talking about. I think I’ve done a good job of gaining the respect of most of the other reporters on the beat, but there are always those fans who will pop up in my Twitter mentions and say I don’t know what I’m talking about because of my gender, which I find absolutely hilarious, actually.”

HC: What other things are you involved in on campus?MM: “I’ve been a sister of Alpha Chi Omega for all four years at UF, and I also played on the club water polo team for the past three years. Although football season has kept me out this semester, I’m hoping to get back into it in the spring when football season is over!”

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?MM: “In 10 years I see myself at a major network like ESPN, CBS or Fox Sports covering football or sports in some capacity. I also hope to have a family of my own by then!”

HC: What is your dream job?MM: “My dream job would be to be working on-air with College GameDay. I grew up watching that show each and every morning, and what those guys do on Saturday mornings would be the perfect job for me — I can’t think of anything better.”

HC: What are your hobbies?MM: “Does watching sports count as a hobby? Besides the obvious, I love to go to the gym and stay active, hanging out with friends, the usual. Oh and binge watching The Office when I have free time. “

HC: Who is your role model?MM: “When I was growing up, Erin Andrews was one of the few women who were around college football at the time, so she made an impression on me when I was younger. Now that I’m older though I’d say Rachel Nichols and Suzy Kolber — they have earned their right to actually give their opinions inside the sports media arena, which is rare for women to be allowed to do, even nowadays.”

HC: What advice would you give to new students?MM: “Get involved! If you don’t early and often, you could miss out on a lot of fun things and friends, too!”

HC: What is your favorite memory at UF so far?MM: “Probably the 2012 LSU game. That was one of the most exciting second half performances I’ve seen, and Ben Hill Griffin went absolutely nuts when Matt Elam stripped Odell Beckham, Jr. late in the fourth quarter to seal the upset over the Tigers.”