Agustina Bertone: One Involved Gator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When Agustina Bertone applied to be a McNair scholar, she was nervous.

“I was going up against incredible students,” Bertone said.

But she was hopeful. Her past research experience and her passion for the program made her a competitive candidate. And when she was told she’d been accepted, she was honored and grateful.

“It is an opportunity to better prepare myself for graduate school, meet people with similar goals, and gain experiences I wouldn’t otherwise find or have while being an undergraduate student,” Bertone said.

As a 20-year-old psychology sophomore, the program gives her an unprecedented advantage to students studying in her field. For 10 weeks this summer, she’ll be working on an independent research project with UF professor Joe McNamara. She will also attend conferences and take GRE classes. At the end of the program, she will take her GRE.

Aside from being a recently announced McNair scholar, Bertone is extremely involved on campus. She is an honors student and a substitute teacher at Baby Gator. She also works as a research assistant under the division of medical psychology and the department of psychiatry. In addition, she is a research assistant in the Warrington College of Business Administration Human Resource Research Center.

On top of that, she is the secretary of the Argentine Student Association, a peer mentor in the Dial Center for Written and Oral Communication speech lab, a conversation partner for the English Language Institute at UF, and an initiate rushing Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.

When it comes to managing all her tasks, Bertone said balance is key.

“It’s important to know when I’m wearing myself too thin,” Bertone said. “I’m constantly reevaluating my priorities to make sure they are on track to help me achieve my goals, whether they are post-graduate goals or personal goals.”

After she graduates, Bertone wants to get a PhD in either developmental, industrial/organizational, or clinical psychology.

“Eventually, I would like to be a professor and continue doing research in one of those fields,” Bertone said.

Until then, Bertone still has many years of school ahead of her. She offered advice for young women just starting college.

“Really take advantage of every opportunity you’re given, and also seek out opportunities,” Bertone said. “Lastly, I’d say it’s important to have fun and enjoy your college experience. It’s important to get your priorities straight but also enjoy this time of growth and self exploration, make long lasting friendships, and make the most out of everything the college experience has to offer.”

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.