A Gainesville Guide to the Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Although I’ve only lived in Gainesville for a few months, I can tell you that our days of nice weather are few and far between, even in the October and November months. As an Orlando native, I’m no stranger to the complete lack of a fall season in Florida (even though I’d like to pretend otherwise). This can be quite the downer for those of us who long to break out our sweaters or see the season’s trademark colorful leaves, but who’s to say we can’t enjoy what we have? Regardless of the heat, there’s always a way to celebrate all the fall season has to offer, even without the traditional festivities.

Sunset at Payne’s

Payne’s Prairie might not have the fall foliage you’re seeking, but this location is arguably one of Gainesville’s most beautiful sites. If you can find a cooler night, pack up your friends and head on over with sweatshirts and a picnic dinner. Or, if you’re a morning person, take yourself on a breakfast date at sunrise. Who wouldn’t want to start off their day with a gorgeous view? The beauty of Payne’s can be seen from any point, but their observation boardwalk near U.S. 441 provides a panoramic view that’s perfect for a sunset viewing. Picnic areas are also available to the public, or give eating in your car’s trunk a shot. As long as your trash is picked up and the wildlife is left undisturbed, you’ve done your part. With good food and people, you can’t go wrong with this chance to experience nature and appreciate a Gainesville autumn.

Decorate!

College living doesn’t provide the coziest atmosphere when you’re in a dorm or apartment, so take it upon yourself to decorate for the impending holiday season. Whether that be Halloween or the fall itself, decor is an easy way to get in the autumn mood. Wall decor is a great place to start because it’s simple and takes up wall space: Amazon sells string lights and fall garlands for relatively low prices. If you’re looking to bring in some authenticity, purchase pumpkins from Publix and get carving. While they might not be as long-lasting, carved pumpkins are a fun activity and bring character to any room. And of course, you can’t go wrong with a fall-scented candle from Bath & Body Works. Even if you can’t light them (no thanks to housing protocol), just leaving your candles open provides a great scent. For more inexpensive options, Bed Bath & Beyond sells candles that smell just as autumnal for lower prices.

Farmers market

The downtown Gainesville Farmers Market is a great way to get outdoors and experience the fall while supporting your local businesses. The GNV Market takes place every Thursday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Heartwood, which is only a five-minute drive from the heart of campus. Experience live music and locally grown foods as you take a stroll through the market, and grab some friends to join you. Fresh produce and other foods are excellent for hosting a cooking night. Fall-themed recipes like butternut squash soup, roasted potatoes and pumpkin cookies for dessert all utilize these goods and allow you to engage in the fall festivities, regardless of the temperature outside. 

Corn maze

If you’re looking to get off campus, get a group together and try a corn maze. The Hollow Oaks Corn Maze runs through Nov. 7 on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. This family-run farm hosts the corn maze and other fall activities, and it’s a great way for students and families alike to enjoy the season. Even for young adults, corn mazes are a fun way to get out and spice up an evening, which is all the better if it’s cooler out. Also, if you’re interested in a dessert afterwards, pick up some apples on your way back into Gainesville and make some candy apples. The blog Made in a Day offers a variety of recipes for this treat. An evening of running through a maze and spending time with others is a great way to break out of the monotony of college life and get into the fall mood.

Movie night

For a night in, gather up friends or family to host a fall-themed movie night. There are few better ways to get in the holiday mood than to cozy up with some spooky classics and popcorn. If you’re looking for peak autumn vibes in your viewing experience, I’d recommend Knives Out or Twilight. For a Halloween classic, you can’t go wrong with Hocus Pocus or Halloweentown. And of course, what’s spooky season without a horror movie? I’d go for any slasher classics like Scream or the more recent Fear Street trilogy. No matter what you choose, it’s sure to be a great night to soak up the fall vibes and spend time with friends beyond the traditional college events.

I know with the fast pace of college life, it’s easy to feel “too busy” to slow down and take some time off. The fall is a busy time for students, but it can also be an enjoyable one if you take the time to celebrate smaller things. As a college town, Gainesville truly does have much to offer for its citizens to engage in fall festivities. There’s always a way to get in the fall mood, even if the temperature doesn’t dip below 70.

Kelly Ralph is a first-year journalism major at the University of Florida. She is passionate about sustainability and intersectional equality, and a fierce defender of the Oxford comma. When she's not writing or studying, Kelly can be found settled in with a good book or curating her Spotify playlists.