A Floridian’s Guide To Getting Into the Christmas Spirit From a Coloradan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Tips for getting into the Christmas spirit in Florida

I’m from Colorado, so my first December in Florida has been extremely different, and it has yet to feel like the holiday season. Back home, Christmas could begin mid-November with little protest as the cool temperatures and falling snow matched up with classic holiday music and the winter vibe. Now, even though we are already several days into December, I can barely justify hanging Christmas lights in my dorm room. You can’t listen to songs like “Winter Wonderland” or “Baby It’s Cold Outside” when the trees are still lush and green, it’s 80 degrees and the humidity warrants summer clothes. But the holiday season is no doubt upon us, so if you’re looking for ways to get into the holiday spirit, look no further! These tips are simple and easy and will put you in a cheery mood in no time. 

1. Watch holiday movies

What better way to get into the spirit than with a classic holiday movie? From old movies like “The Grinch,” “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” “Home Alone” and “Elf” to sappy Hallmark flicks to newer animations and shorts, there is a plethora of holiday movies out there. Block out a night, grab a blanket and your favorite snacks and you’ll be ready for the holidays in no time. This is also a great way to decompress and stress less during finals.

2. Bake holiday treats

For those of you that have kitchens, making and decorating Christmas cookies is a must. Cookie decorating sets can easily be found in stores if you don’t want to make your own, and if you’re feeling extra festive, you can try assembling a gingerbread house.

3. Listen to holiday music

This one is also pretty obvious. Personally, I’m in the camp of believing Christmas music is not a year-round thing, so I make a point to listen to it almost exclusively in December. Spotify has tons of curated Christmas/holiday playlists and listening to them is sure to put you in a good mood. I also like to experiment with different genres; who knew Christmas Hip Hop could be so motivating?

4. Go to Target

When is Target not a cure for everything? Even if you’re not planning on buying anything (although you really never know with Target), walking around in the holiday section is definitely spirit-enhancing. This goes for lots of other stores in the area as well. Simply being surrounded by decorations and all things red and green can be helpful when trying to get in the spirit.

5. Go light-seeing

With the exception of some of the frat houses, there aren’t a whole lot of lights and decorated yards around. But a quick drive to a nearby Gainesville neighborhood may be all you need to get your holiday light fix. There are also some shopping centers and plazas close to campus that have been decorated for Christmas and the holiday season that are definitely worth checking out. 

6. Do some decorating

During the holiday season, I like to surround myself with everything Christmas, even if a dorm room is not overly conducive to extensive decorating. Still, you can find ways to spruce up virtually any space no matter how limiting is. Simply adding a string of Christmas lights, a poster or a small trinket to your desk can make your room feel cozier. 

7. Do some shopping

Christmas is, for better or worse, about giving and therefore spending money. If you’re a shopaholic like me, this is a good thing. Picking out gifts for people can be a rewarding way to spend your time, and it makes me more excited for the big day. If you dread picking out gifts for other people, why not treat yourself? With all the sales going on this time of year, now is the perfect time to award yourself for your hard work during finals.

8. Find holiday-themed spots

Lots of shops and restaurants around town have fully committed to Christmas and taking a trip to one of them can make it instantly feel like the holidays. For example, Teastori is a boba joint just a few minutes away that is fully decked out in Christmas decorations. Just twenty minutes in there and you completely forget about the fact you still need sunscreen to go outside. 

9. Burn a candle

Nothing screams Christmas ambiance as candles do. Places like Target are well-stocked with the season’s best scents and investing in one can literally put holiday spirit in the air. 

Hot weather combined with the stress of finals makes for an environment that doesn’t feel very cheery at all. It’s hard to remember that this is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year when there’s so much to do. But taking time for yourself to do something fun and embrace the holidays can make these final weeks much easier. You don’t have to go crazy or spend a lot of time, money or effort to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

Grace McClung is a first-year journalism major at the University of Florida. She is from Denver, Colorado and loves poetry, running, and the beach.