sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Things You Should Definitely Not Text Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’ve all been there: It’s late, and you and your friends are venting about how all the guys you know are idiots. You think to yourself, “Maybe I should just text him; what’s the worst that could happen?” Well I’m here to tell you that so many things could go wrong. I never recommend texting boys randomly or late at night because it almost never goes well, but if you do want to text him, definitely don’t say these things.

1. “So… what are we?”
If you are seriously wondering what the relationship is between you and him, don’t text him this. This is a conversation to have face-to-face and definitely not one to have after a night out.

2. “It’s fine. Go have fun.”
Obviously, you are asking for a fight. Don’t be the girl he rolls his eyes at.

3. Any variation of a long paragraph fight or deep conversation
This will never go well. When I see someone texting in long paragraphs, I know something is going on, and it is something juicy. Put the phone down and talk about the more serious stuff in person.

4. “I think we should see other people.”
Don’t be the person who breaks up with someone over text. He’ll probably show all of his friends and tell them how rude you are, probably using a few other words I will neglect to mention.

5. “Do you want to come over and…?”
If his answer is no, it’s embarrassing, and there’s a chance he’ll show his friends. If his answer is yes, you might regret it. You’re better than that.

6. “I just feel like…”
What follows this introduction is probably something he doesn’t care to hear, especially by means of a text message. Unfortunately, in this society, we don’t often say the things we feel to guys because we don’t want to come off as needy. Say what you need to say in person, and things have the potential of going way better.

7. “Whatever.”
Boys just don’t seem to understand this one. If a girl is texting a guy “whatever,” she probably wants him to reply with an apology for some stupid thing he did. Boys typically opt for the no-reply, which just makes you more upset. Don’t even bother trying passive aggressivity with boys.  

8. “You’re being mean.”
This sentence is so cringe-worthy for me, so I am sure it is cringe-worthy for guys, too. It makes you sound wimpy. If a guy is being mean to you, don’t give him the satisfaction of a reply.

9. Continuing to text him when he hasn’t replied to you
Not receiving a message is usually a message in itself. Guys are very black and white, and if he wants to talk to you, he will try to talk to you. If you feel the need to text someone, you should text one of your girlfriends because they (hopefully) never judge.

The moral of the story is that some guys can be pretty silly, and you should try to hold onto your sanity when dealing with them. You can text your best friends. You can text your mom. Don’t value yourself based on that boy who isn’t texting you back. You’re beautiful, and he isn’t worth it.

Photo credit: joanncohen.com