9 Things You Know to be True If Your Sister is Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Growing up, I was never really close to my sister; in fact, we used to fight all the time. My sister is two years younger than I, and we are pretty much the exact opposite in both personality and looks, but for some reason, when I left for college, we became closer than ever. I don’t really know how it happened, but I do know that now and forever, she will be my absolute best friend. This one’s for you sis. Here are nine things that are true if your sister is your best friend.

1. You text and/or call her every single day.  

And most likely multiple times a day. Also these texts/calls are not your “basic” sister conversations, like how are you, how’s school, etc. No, these often include many inside jokes and laughter.

2. You have a secret handshake.

You’ve most likely copied parts of this from the glorious handshake in The Parent Trap. This handshake is probably performed when you see each other for the first time in a while – or after a few hours.

3. You have more blackmail on each other then you could probably use in your entire lifetimes…already.

From uncomfortable school dance stories to that time you peed your pants from laughing too hard, your sister could easily embarrass you since she knows everything about you. It’s probably best to keep her on your good side.

4. You each know what the other is thinking with just a look.

No words needed between you two; most of the time a look is enough to convey a thought. For example, casually seeing an ex-boyfriend at Publix: all you need is a look and you’re both headed straight to the exit.

5. Whenever you’re together, chick flicks and chocolate are a must.

Even if you’re just together for a weekend, you always make a point to have a good old-fashioned girl’s night. Nothing beats watching Safe Haven for the fifteenth time while sharing month-old chocolate you gave each other on Valentine’s day. That’s true happiness right there.

6. You can get over a disagreement in record time.

Even though you and your sister probably still fight, you literally get over it in less than five minutes instead of holding a grudge for months. Then it’s back to gossiping and laughing at old pictures.

7. You two are very comfortable with each other.

You know you’re close when you can pee in front of your sister and it doesn’t faze her. Honestly, some of your best conversations happen while one of you is in the shower and the other is sitting on the toilet. TMI? Not with your sister.

8. You know you can count on her to be there for you whenever you need her.

Through break-ups and breakdowns, your sister is always the first one you call. She always knows exactly what to say or do to make you feel better. And she knows she can count on you for the same.

9. You love her with all your heart.

If you’re the older sister, like myself, you’re most likely extremely protective of your little sis, and it’s just because you love her and want nothing but the best for her. Always keep this in mind, because there is no love quite like sister love.

There’s never a dull moment when you are with your sister. She’ll always be there through your highest highs and lowest lows. Next time you see her, give her a big hug and a “thank you.” I promise she’ll appreciate it.

Photo credit: keepinspiring.me