9 Things To Stop Telling Theatre Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

People go to college to study many different majors and people have many different interests. There are more jobs than just being a doctor or a lawyer. I have friends who are studying psychology and business and journalism, and I would never question their major or career path. So why is mine always called into question? For some reason, the College of Arts is undervalued. We’re the ones who create the beauty and entertainment in your world, so you’re welcome. Here are some responses I get on a regular basis after I tell people I major in theatre.

1. “You’re lucky your classes are easy.”

They’re easier than Organic Chemistry, yes — but they definitely still require work. I still have projects and tests. And I have to make time outside of the classroom to memorize lines and find time to practice scenes with other people. Then, we perform and get to be critically analyzed by our teachers and peers. Real easy.

2. “I wish I got to take fun classes like you.”

You could consider switching majors or adding a minor and study something that actually interests you. My classes can be fun, but they can also be stressful and require lot of work.

3. “Do you ever have homework?”

I have to write papers, I have to study for tests, I have to read plays, and I have to go watch plays. Yes — I have homework.

4. “But you’re so smart — why would you study theatre?”

So if your major is an art, you’re dumb? That makes sense, because people like Shakespeare and Mozart are considered idiots that added nothing to society and we never talk about them today. That reasoning makes sense.

5. “Why didn’t you just go to a college specializing in theatre?”

Because I like the University of Florida. Most colleges specializing in theatre don’t have the best sports programs and I actually like to watch Division 1 football and basketball. I get the best of both worlds.

6. “Why did you even go to college?”

To learn. That’s the point, right? I want a college degree, and I wanted the college experience.

7. “Theatre is a hobby, not a career.”

Thank you for discrediting my career path. Saying that made me like you more and I think we should be best friends. I love getting career advice from strangers.

8. “So, what’s your backup plan?”

“So, what’s your backup plan after you fail your finance exam?” Yeah, that’s what I thought. We all need backup plans as college students. Life happens, and we never follow the path we think is clear for us. I might want to go into the entertainment industry, but who knows where I’ll end up?

9. “Good luck trying to make any money.”

Yes, I know it will be a struggle. People already know that when they sign up for this. Everyone hopes to be rich and famous, but we all know the risks.

10. “Well you must be really good at accents. Do a Russian accent for me.”

Why am I being put on the spot? I am not trained in that area. I would never ask an engineering major to tell me all the formulas they have memorized. That’s weird. Don’t put me on the spot and I won’t put you on the spot. But I secretly love it and I will do a British accent for you instead.

There are many actors that studied theatre in college such as Denzel Washington, Sandra Bullock, Alec Baldwin, James Earl Jones and Tina Fey. Just to name a few. Sometimes people with theatre degrees don’t end up acting, and that’s fine too. For example, Kourtney Kardashian graduated with a degree in theatre, and look where she is now. My theatre degree doesn’t predict my future, and regardless, I love studying it — so there is no need to comment on it.

Kelvy is a third year at the University of Florida double majoring in Theatre and Telecommunication Production. After graduation, she hopes to work in the entertainment industry. She loves movies and TV shows, but most importantly I love all things Disney!