alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Oscar-Nominated Films You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: Oscar season. Ah, Oscar season, when all of the best films Hollywood has created are released during a short, inconvenient time frame before The Academy Awards. There were so many good films that came out this year, yet classes have started back up and it is even harder to try to find time to watch a “good” film.

If you’re a film buff like me, then you know it’s imperative to try to see as many Oscar nominated movies as you can before The Academy Awards. Luckily, I got you covered as to the order you should watch the nominated best pictures in.

9. Dunkirk

So my only reason for even wanting to see this film in the first place was for Harry Styles. If you’re into World War II, then this is the film for you. If you’re into films with a cast of 78 and only two of them are women, then this is the film for you. I have yet to see Dunkirk, but it is last on my list, mainly for the fact that the film was specifically designed and directed for the big screen. So if you didn’t see it in the movie theaters, you will not like it as much as you would normally on a laptop.

8. Darkest Hour

If World War II is your favorite war, then you’re in luck because Darkest Hour is another one of these movies. Gary Oldman is nominated for Best Actor so it is definitely a film to look out for. It has received really good reviews and my grandmother has seen it twice now because it’s that good, so if you want her advice, she would tell you to see it.

7. Phantom Thread

Daniel Day-Lewis is a master of his craft. His acting will no doubt be wonderful. My only reservation is how long of a film it is. I think Day-Lewis is a fantastic actor, but I would only see this film if you are a passionate fan of his. Or passionate about dressmaking.

6. The Post

It’s Meryl Streep. It’s Tom Hanks. It’s Steven Spielberg. Something good had to come out of that trifecta of talent. The Post is definitely a film worth watching, but if you are young, your parents may like it more. It was hard to follow along if you don’t know the actual historical events of what happened. But of course, the acting and directing was fantastic.

5. Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

This film is number two on my list of films I absolutely have to see but haven’t yet had the opportunity to. The acting has received so much praise. I mean what else do you expect from a stellar cast of Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell, who everyone is saying will win for best supporting actor. I am very excited to see what the actors bring to their roles.

4. The Shape of Water

I think The Shape of Water is the most beautiful film I have seen this year. It truly is a masterpiece in terms of artistic ability. There was so much symbolism in the colors, costumes and props and I loved it. It is definitely a weird film but I think it will end up winning Best Cinematography in the end.

3. Call Me By Your Name

Check to see if this film is coming to your movie theater, because people have raved it’s a sad but beautiful movie. I have yet to see this film, but it is number one on the movies I need to see. Everyone loves the wonderful acting done by the young Timotheè Chalamet and he is nominated for best actor, right up there with Daniel Day-Lewis.

2. Get Out

I think this was probably one of the most talked about films of 2017. It brought so much social commentary on racism in the best way possible. Not only is it a satire, but it is also a thriller with some comedy. What more could you want? It was also Jordan Peele’s directorial debut and he nailed it.

1. Lady Bird

This is the number one movie you have to see. If you are a woman you will love Lady Bird. Men will like Lady Bird too, but I think it is just more relatable for women. The female coming of age story and the mother/daughter relationship is was makes it so appealing. Even more so, if you went to a Catholic school you can definitely relate to the crummy school uniforms and awkward school dances. The movie also adds great early 2000s nostalgia you forgot about. Saoirse Ronan, I believe, is going to win Best Leading Actress so it is a film you can’t miss.

So if you love Oscar nominated films I suggest you see them in this order from Lady Bird to Dunkirk. All of these films were nominated for a reason and it is crazy to think that only one of these will have the honor of being “the best”. My prediction is that Lady Bird will receive the Oscar for best picture. Until then, we will have to watch a movie per week in order to prepare for The Academy Awards on March 4.

Kelvy is a third year at the University of Florida double majoring in Theatre and Telecommunication Production. After graduation, she hopes to work in the entertainment industry. She loves movies and TV shows, but most importantly I love all things Disney!