7 Types of People You Shouldn’t Be Friends With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There will always be toxic people in your life, but it is important to realize who these people are and why they are toxic. Healthy relationships are so critical to daily life, and sometimes it is necessary to delete some people for your own benefit. You should probably avoid the types of people listed below.  

1. The friend who always needs something
This friend always asks for a ride, money or notes from class. The only conversation you have with him or her always begins with: “Can you do me a favor?” You’ve never gotten anything from them in return because you know if you asked they would make an excuse. They won’t be giving — they’ll just keep taking from you.

2. The friend who makes fun of you for being healthy
This friend always makes fun of you for going to the gym or opting for a salad at lunch. He or she always makes a remark when you go on a cleanse or officially decide to be a healthier person. They don’t support you and your efforts at self-improvement, so they don’t really care about your well being.

3. The friend who only talks about themselves
This friend somehow makes every conversation about himself or herself. You could be venting about a problem you are currently having, and they bring up how your problem applies to them. They are never listening to you, and you need a friend who is there for you no matter what.

4. The friend who doesn’t remember anything about you
This friend never remembers what you tell them about your life. You find yourself constantly repeating yourself because they never remember what you told them a couple of days ago. Friends should listen and remember. If someone cares about you, they will remember the little details about your life.

5. The friend who will drop you for a boy
This friend could be gone in 60 seconds flat if a boy flirts with them. This is totally different from your friend flirting with a boy and being interested in him; this friend prioritizes boys over their closest friends. They place their value in the hands of boys rather than in their friendships and accomplishments. This friend will never make you their priority, even though it is important to value your friends.

6. The friend who always talks about other people
This friend uses every opportunity to talk about and complain about other people. Chances are this friend is talking about you behind your back, too. The most important thing to have in a friendship is trust. What’s the point of being friends with someone if you can’t even trust them with your secrets?

7. The friend who only ever wants go out
This friend will never agree to plans if they don’t involve drinking or going out. He or she is never interested in a simple movie night or going to grab ice cream. This friendship relies on outside stimuli, which means they aren’t even sure if they actually enjoy being with you. Be friends with people you can do anything with because sometimes the best nights are nights spent inside.

At this point in our lives, friendships are incredibly important. The most important part of them is if they are healthy or not. Positive influences on your life will make your days better and put a smile on your face. Stay happy and stay laughing with your best friends! Nothing quite compares.

Photo credit: districtmen202.com