7 Tips for Holiday Shopping Amid a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I think of Santa Claus movies and hot chocolate around the holidays. I hear “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” on the radio, even as I drive in the 70 degree Florida weather. The green trees take up residence in the corners of living rooms, and all of the sudden, my kitchen counter is overflowing with baked goods. Along with the holiday cheer (and chaos), it’s the time of year when people usually begin their holiday shopping. Despite the pandemic raging on, we continue to search for the perfect gifts; even if we will only get to mail them to loved ones this year. Here are seven tips to keep in mind as you shop during the COVID-19 holiday season. 

Wear a mask

It may go without saying. But I will say it again. As someone who works in retail, the number of people I see walking through the mall and into stores without a mask is concerning. This year, make sure to protect yourself and others who may venture into stores by wearing a mask. Please don’t pull it down to speak while you’re in the store, and please wear it so that it also covers your nose. It may not be the most comfortable thing, but it will make the employees and other shoppers around you feel a little bit safer. And after all, aren’t the holidays about performing good deeds for others? 

Be patient – The lines will be long 

This holiday season is like no other before it. With social distancing guidelines and stores still operating under limited capacities, shoppers should expect longer lines. The lines to get into stores will be longer as they continue to limit the amount of people inside for their shoppers’ and workers’ safety. If the fitting rooms are open, those lines may be longer as employees work to clean them between guests. Register lines will be longer because many stores have had to close register lines to maintain social distancing during checkout. Patience will be a necessary virtue this season. Just remember to keep the holiday cheer, even if it feels like the line hasn’t moved in forever. 

Ask for help while you’re inside the store 

COVID-19 continues to be a source of anxiety and concern for people this holiday season. If you want to spend as little time in the stores as possible, online shopping is always an option (we will get to that later). But, if you still find yourself in the hustle and bustle of a brick and mortar shop this holiday season, the quickest way to get in and out is by asking for help. Store employees often stock the store during non-business hours, and they are familiar with product layout. If you are looking for something specific, they can probably show you where it is and get you in the checkout line in under 10 minutes. All you have to do is wear a mask, stay 6-feet away and ask for what you need. 

Fitting rooms may be open … or they may not 

One of the major downsides of shopping in stores during the pandemic is that fitting rooms are not always open. Customers don’t like it because they can’t tell how clothes will fit or if they’re worth their money. Stores don’t like it because they end up processing more returns than usual. It’s not great for any party involved, but it is for the safety of everyone. Don’t be surprised if the fitting rooms continue to be closed as stores brace for the holiday season. If they are open, remember not to put tried-on clothes back into the racks yourself. Many stores are steaming clothes or keeping them off the floor for a period of time after they have been tried on. The goal is to have the clothing be safe for others who may want to purchase it. Be mindful of the store’s try-on policies and know that this season may be filled with a few more after-Christmas returns than usual. 

Don’t be afraid to order from the store. 

The number of shoppers in stores dwindled during the pandemic, and rightfully so. But, as a result, many stores are not stocking as much merchandise as they usually would. This means that instead of having 20 red sweaters on a shelf, they may only have 10 or 15 available. This also means you may not see the size you need while shopping. If this happens to you, don’t panic.

Often times, employees can order the item for you in the size that you need, and it will be shipped to the store or your home for free. Ordering from the store usually saves shipping costs, and you can still qualify for store sales that are going on while you’re there. It never hurts to ask the employees if they have more merchandise stored in the back, but don’t be surprised if they ask you to order from them instead. 

I told you we’d talk about online shopping 

Online shopping is definitely the move this season. It’s safer and easier than going to stores for the most part. The only catch is this year, you need to do it early. With so many people choosing to order from home, the shipping companies will be overwhelmed with packages. Unless you start ordering things now, there’s no guarantee they will arrive before Christmas. My mom is a person who usually likes to wait until the second week of December to start her Christmas shopping, but even she has already begun asking for lists and placing orders. Like my mom said, “If I don’t start ordering now, y’all are going to be opening a lot of IOUs.”

Shop small and shop local 

The pandemic hit the retail industry hard, but it hit small and local businesses harder. Don’t forget to include them in your shopping places this holiday season. Unique and sentimental gifts can be found in local stores and small businesses. Earrings, rings and sweatshirts are just of the few cool things you can find online from independent sellers that operate outside of the primary retail industry. Shopping local not only supports small businesses and entrepreneurs, but it also promises gifts that will stand out in a crowd. 

As the holiday fun (and mayhem) commence this season, enjoy your loved ones and the safe, quality time spent at home. If you do venture out into the stores to secure a few gifts, keep these tips in mind so that you have a safe, considerate and joy-filled holiday season. 

Growing up I attended three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. I moved a total of six times altogether: I have lived in Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Florida (twice), Missouri and Indiana. Each move taught me to love the new experiences that the world has to offer. It was the constant moving that sparked my interest in travel. Ever since I was young, I enjoyed spending hours in new places, trying new foods and collecting new stories to tell. Besides my six moves, much of my time is spent traveling to other cities within the United States. So far, my favorites have been New York City and New Orleans. The beignets from Café Du Monde made me want to cry tears of joy. My ultimate travel goal is to one day visit France. I desperately want to see the Palace of Versailles and walk through the Hall of Mirrors. While experiencing the world thus far, my taste buds have developed an affinity for coffee. Since the age of five, I have been an avid drinker. My body calls for coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes at night. I am a firm believer that all coffee needs caffeine. I also have a wicked sweet tooth and am willing to try any number of milkshakes, ice cream and doughnuts. My great loves are traveling, coffee and sweets; I also love to write. I hope to one day use my degree in journalism to tell other people’s stories in an entertaining and informative manner. It is also a part of my plan to attend law school. I look forward to experiencing all the adventures (sweets and coffee included) that life has to offer!