7 Stars Who Will Shine This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The Oscars wrapped up last month, awarding actors and actresses for their outstanding work of last year. Now, it’s time to turn our attention to this year’s feature films. Be sure to keep an eye on these celebrities who are expected to rock the silver screen in several upcoming projects:

Natalie Portman
Although she’s started the year with an Oscar for “Best Actress” for her work in Black Swan, a role alongside the adorable Ashton Kutcher in the romantic comedy No Strings Attached and a powerful performance in The Other Woman, Portman isn’t looking to slow down anytime soon. The expectant mother (with fiancé and Swan choreographer Benjamin Millepied) is set to star in at least two more movies this year. She’ll grace the screen alongside James Franco and Zooey Deschanel in the medieval comedy Your Highness (April 8) and as the love interest in Marvel’s adaptation of Thor (May 6).

Olivia Wilde
Though the high-tech adventure TRON: Legacy garnered mixed reviews, Wilde’s performance was a high point that didn’t disappoint. She’ll carry that success on this year, beginning with a strong female role in Cowboys and Aliens (July 29).Wilde will star in the sci-fi/ western mash-up alongside seasoned action stars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. This summer, she’ll also take on the body-switching comedy The Change-Up (Aug. 5)that’s sure to be a hit (from the director of The Hangover and the writers of Wedding Crashers), followed by the future-based thriller Now (Oct. 28).

Chris Evans
Evans already melted hearts as the flaming Human Torch in the Fantastic Four series and played a brief role in last year’s Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. This year, Evans is back to star in yet another comic-book adaptation: the highly anticipated Captain America: The First Avenger (July 22). The trailer – packed with several shirtless shots of Evans – was the most viewed spot of the Super Bowl last month, proving it already has a devoted following. Not a fan of action flicks? Evans will also star alongside Anna Faris and Andy Samberg in the romantic comedy What’s Your Number? (Sep. 30).

Vanessa Hudgens
This High School Musical sweetheart will definitely be “breaking free” from her Disney past and making a name for herself in 2011. Hudgens will take on an entirely new role –and genre – in Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch (Mar. 25); she’ll play Blondie, a tough, gun-wielding inmate in this girl-power action adventure. Most recently, however, Hudgens took the lead in Beastly, a modern-day, artistic take on Beauty and the Beast. She stars with Alex Pettyfer (fresh from his role in I Am Number Four) and Mary-Kate Olsen in this not-so-classic Disney fairytale, which was released to theaters March 4.

Bradley Cooper
With only one major role in 2010’s The A-Team (save for an appearance in the star-studded rom-com Valentine’s Day), Cooper will be making up for lost time in the action flick Limitless (March 18). Most audiences, however, will be eagerly anticipating The Hangover Part II (tentative release – May 26). Cooper is set to join the rest of the “wolf pack” (Ed Helms, Zack Galifianakis and Justin Bartha) in Bangkok, Thailand, for another round of mishaps, memories and hilarious moments.

Emma Stone
Our favorite smart-talking, wise-cracking redhead is back…and she’s blonde! In preparation for her role as Gwen Stacey in the upcoming 2012 Spiderman reboot, this funny girl has recently gone golden, but that doesn’t mean she’s looking too far ahead. This year, Stone will play Justin Timberlake’s “evil” ex-girlfriend in the upcoming comedy Friends With Benefits (another one, really? – July 22), and she’ll have us laughing as Steve Carell’s daughter in Crazy, Stupid Love (July 29). Stone will show us a new side, however, with her leading role in The Help, a drama about southern society set in ‘60s Mississippi (Aug. 12).

Rooney Mara
You’ll probably recognize her as Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg)’s ex in The Social Network and the girl who was quite possibly the inspiration for Facebook. This year, Mara has teamed up with director David Fincher once again for the film adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Dec. 21). In this anticipated crime drama, all eyes will be on Mara as Lisbeth Salander, the punk computer-hacking heroine; this fresh face has already shown her commitment to the role by trading her clean, collegiate look from Social Network for chopped, dark hair and several (albeit temporary) tattoos.

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.