7 Songs by Local Bands to Listen to On Your Way to Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Gainesville is a melting pot of many associated moods and feelings. 

While Tom Petty may be the most notable artist from the city, there are plenty of amazing artists waiting to be discovered by you.

If you’re looking for a new playlist to get finally get the “Hot Girl Summer” track out of your head, look no further.

Comparisons” by Driveaway

This is the song you listen to when you realize someone isn’t who you thought they were – when you find new layers to the person you thought you meshed so well with.

The option of conforming to their mold may come to mind, but then you realize it’s killing you. The comparisons between what has been and what is are killing you. This is that song.

Sugar” by The Hails

This song is so smooth it wears a leather jacket and smokes chocolate cigarettes.

When you’re feeling bold and brave on your way to class, it’s the perfect background sound.

While you listen, chewing a stick of gum and wearing shades is not only recommended, but required for optimal enjoyment.

August” by flipturn

As fall is set in motion, the color of the leaves begin to change slightly, and the heat of summer starts to simmer down.

Although Florida only receives a slight grasp of autumn, the vibes in the atmosphere certainly shift. “August” by flipturn perfectly captures the feeling of the beginning of change, the beginning of crisp air and hot coffee.

The month of August may be over, but the song still rings true.

Dead Man Running” by Savants of Soul

It’s the day of the big presentation you worked so hard on for the past month. Or the day you decided to wear a fancy outfit just ’cause. Maybe it’s the day you woke up before your alarm but felt surprisingly refreshed.

This funky song is the perfect soundtrack for those days.

Whether you’re feeling groovy or spunky, “Dead Man Running” will lift any mood.

Creatures” by Glass House Point

For the acoustic lovers out there, “Creatures” by Glass House Point brings a nostalgic flair to alternative music.

If you were a fan of bands like We The Kings, Two Door Cinema Club or Boys Like Girls back in 2015 and you miss the smell of Axe body spray and band tees, “Creatures” is for you.

The song brings an alternative feel combined with melodic, beach-worthy music.

Hanging” by Runner’s High

Not all songs can have happy endings.

The rock song “Hanging” by Runner’s High reminds you of the person you always meant to keep in touch with but never actually got around to it.

The meaning of the song holds true to any college friendship that never lasted after the “we’ll totally catch up soon” conversation.

This song is perfect to play when you finally get to catch up with people. 

Small” by Laney

In college, we’re lucky if we’re surrounded by people who support us.

Unfortunately, we’re often met with those who see us as less than or inferior to them.

“Small” by Laney captures the feeling of being tiny in the eyes of others.

The short-but-impactful song helps in those moments when you’re figuring out your next step to “get over this wall.”