7 Seasonal Ingredient Beauty Hacks You’ve Got to Try This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Picture this: holiday season is in full swing. You’ve traded textbooks for mixing bowls. The oven’s warmth envelops the whole house. Not to mention it smells amazing. Grandma’s secret pumpkin pie recipe lays on the counter. But, she’s not the only one with a secret recipe. This year, try these seasonal-ingredient beauty hacks for routines so good you’ll want to keep them a secret.

Pumpkin

A holiday favorite and easy way to sneak in veggies during dessert, pumpkin pie has one vital ingredient you need to steal for your beauty routine. Pumpkin. Pumpkin is pumped with vitamins, minerals and protective antioxidants that are good for you, inside and out. So, you don’t just have to eat your veggies to improve your skin and hair. From hair masks to sugar scrubs and even DIY lotion, pumpkin acts as a rejuvenating material in any concoction.

Eggs

Crack an extra egg? Don’t let it go to waste! Whip together a protein-filled hair mask. Put an entire egg in a hair mask for damaged hair, but then separate the egg whites. Put egg whites themselves directly on your face to remove oil from your skin. But, just like in the kitchen, avoid eating them raw. So, don’t apply directly to your mouth. Egg whites applied directly under the eyes removes puffy bags, too.

Almond Oil

An ingredient in many holiday desserts, almond oil is both soothing and hydrating for skin and hair. High vitamin E content in almond oil protects skin from sun-damage, premature aging and stretch marks. Almond oil is often an ingredient in other lotions or hair products because of its all-natural abilities and organic appeal. So, if you’re not into DIY you can pick up almond oil-based beauty products from the store.

Turmeric

Recipes with turmeric are gaining popularity lately in cooking and coffee culture, but its potency has been known in South Asian cultures for years. Maybe you bought the turmeric to make turmeric lattes, but you could also rub it all over your face. Turmeric face masks have always been popular. After wiping your face you’ll just glow. The glow comes from the anti-inflammatory, ant-bacterial, antioxidant, anti-wrinkle, anti-aging and anti-hyperpigmentation properties of turmeric.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Another seasonal favorite is apple cider vinegar. Whether it’s apple cider beverages or apple cider donuts, if you’re making these tasty fall favorites then you probably have apple cider vinegar on your shelf. The zinger of a liquid is a great toner because of its astringent properties. Basically, it’s great for anyone acne prone. And, forget about bobbing for apples. Instead, bob your entire scalp in some apple cider vinegar. ACV can get rid of dandruff and make your hair shiny and soft.

Brown Sugar

Read: Sugar scrubs. Brown sugar, white sugar, sugar in the raw or whatever sugar you have is fine. Mix your sugar with almond oil, coconut oil or another hydrating lubricant, exfoliating coffee grounds and your fav essential oils. Don’t forget that sugar scrubs are for lips just as much as your skin. That means you can savor the sugar scrubs as much as your sugar cookies.

Vanilla

Want to switch up your vanilla beauty routine? Vanilla mixed into your hair products, or a mixture of your own, can eliminate toxins and promote a healthy growth environment. The sweet syrup is also full of antioxidants and can reduce wrinkles. Vanilla is also an anti-inflammatory, which means it can reduce acne visibility. Raw vanilla might not be good to taste, but it will make your hair and skin look better than ever.

Most of these seasonal-ingredient beauty hacks work well for skin, lips and hair, but don’t let that limit you. Just like cooking, beauty is just as much a science as anything else. Experiment, create and celebrate the season — in your kitchen and in your bathroom.

Hey! I'm Veronica, a journalism senior at the University of Florida. I'm usually up till dawn either out with friends or working on a deadline. I love writing, music, yoga, rocks, social justice and animal rights. My favorite color is pink and my favorite vinyl at the moment is "I Love You, Honeybear," by Father John Misty. If you need me, you can probably catch me on the vegan cheese aisle at your local grocery store.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.