7 Memoirs to Cuddle Up with this Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the temperatures dropping, there’s no better way to spend your day than cuddled up with a good book. And it so happens that a memoir is a perfect genre that’ll give you the inspiration and hope you’ll need in these chilly days.

Here are the best memoirs you need to read ASAP.

1. Becoming by Michelle Obama

One of the best books on this list, Becoming is a light, easy and emotional read that has dominated book stands everywhere to become the best-selling book of 2018. In this book, Michelle recalls her childhood and her life pre- and post-position as First Lady. Throughout her memoir, she looks at her life reflectively and gives great advice, especially to young people who are doubting themselves.  Her advice on being hopeful in yourself and recognizing your insecurities and turning them into strength is an inspirational message to college women who feel discouraged with their career paths. Most importantly, Michelle calls for each one of us to listen and to not be fearful of others. So, listen to me and get an insider’s look at the life of a dedicated girl hailing from the south side of Chicago.

2. The Restless Wave by John McCain

Another book by an important political figure, The Restless Wave is a perfect, reflective memoir that goes over the life of a man who has experienced a lot of ups and downs. McCain delivers an insightful approach to his experiences and shows his gratitude. One of the greatest lessons in this memoir is the need for recognizing our own flaws, which is what McCain does. In the last part of the book, McCain talks about his brain cancer, which he was diagnosed with when writing his memoir. So expect some emotional moments. Get this book and feel a little hopeful about the future of this country.

3. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Anthony Bourdain’s legacy lives on with this memoir. In this book, Bourdain will take you on an adventure in the culinary world. His memoir shattered my thoughts of the professional culinary industry as simply an everyday Barefoot Contessa episode and will probably shatter many misconceptions about this field for you as well. If you want some secret advices like on how to avoid ordering well-done beef at a restaurant, get your hands on this book and take a look at the behind-the-scenes life of one of the most influential celebrity chefs.

4. Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy

This memoir is one of the most intense books you will probably read. Grealy’s resilience and strength as a young girl who had to deal with a rare cancer that disfigured her face and caused her to be bullied, is a testament to how obsessed our societies are with the outer beauty. College women who need to be reminded that their beauty isn’t determined by their physical attributes should get this book immediately.

5. Gifted Hands by Ben Carson

Before becoming the US Secretary of Housing and Development, Ben Carson was known as a gifted neurosurgeon. His memoir Gifted Hands tells the story of a kid with bad grades who later went on to become the director of pediatric neurosurgery at one of the best hospitals in the country. Read his book and witness how determination and drive can save your life and that of others.

6. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

If you’re a biology nerd like me, you will really enjoy this book written by Hope Jahren, a professor at the University of Hawaii who recounts her discovery of her love for plants. Although, not all of us have an intense need to learn about plants beyond our science classes, Jahren communicates a universal feeling through her memoir, which is the exciting feeling that you get when you discover something new. Her dedication to her career and work ethic is what makes this book a must-read.

7. My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor

I don’t remember a Spanish class that I’ve had when we didn’t talk about Sonia Sotomayor. This Justice in the Supreme Court of Puerto Rican heritage has a long list of achievements and interesting experiences that she wrote in her memoir. She details her upbringing in this book and reminds us to push all barriers to achieve our dreams. Get this book and go on a ride with a story about dreaming big and believing in yourself.

Whether you’re into a little dose of inspiration or just want to let your inner foodie be satisfied, this list has it all. Grab a book, turn the pages and learn about the stories of people who have left their mark.

Jana is a graduate from the University of Florida with a degree in biology and a certificate in Spanish. She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, entertainment, the environment and everything in between.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.