food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

7 Female-Led Hidden Gems on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Weeks into quarantine, you may find yourself with a problem: you’ve made it through your list of shows to watch on Netflix.

But never fear — if you’ve finished the popular shows and are wanting something new to watch, look no further than these female-led hidden gems. 

1) The Society

Did you read Lord of the Flies in high school and find yourself wishing there was more high school teen drama?

Were you obsessed with Lost at some point, and are now looking for something to fill that void?

Look no further than The Society.

When high school seniors and juniors return from a field trip to find their hometown, West Ham, deserted and enclosed by a mysterious forest, sisters Cassandra and Allie Pressman must find a way to organize a new society before West Ham descends into chaos. 

These 10 hour-long episodes are delightfully binge-worthy, full of a mix of relationship drama and compelling moral dilemmas, with a cliffhanger ending that will leave you wanting more ASAP (Season 2 is slated for 2020, but with COVID-19, may be delayed).

2) The Rain

*CONTENT WARNING: deals with themes related to viruses and pandemics*

This Danish post-apocalyptic show watches like your typical YA novel reads, with plenty of love triangles and coming-of-age themes (don’t worry, there’s a swoon-worthy love interest).

After a virus carried in the rain kills Simone’s parents, she hides underground in a bunker with her little brother.

When they emerge years later, it’s to join a group searching for signs of life — and a cure to the virus. 

Personally, I love this show because it’s super easy to watch.

With short episodes for a drama (each ranges from 30-50 minutes) and a simple plot, you won’t find yourself getting lost or confused.

Currently, there are two seasons on the way, with the third and final season landing this June. 

3) High Seas (Alta Mar)

Have you finished Elite and found yourself in need of another Spanish murder mystery?

Look no further than High Seas (Alta Mar in Spanish).

Traveling from Spain to Brazil in the 1940s on a luxurious ship, two sisters discover a disturbing thread of family secrets when people begin to die under mysterious circumstances.

This show is full of compelling secrets, beautiful costumes, and romantic pairings that will have you shipping like there’s no tomorrow.

With a fast-paced plot and an abundance of twists, you’ll be finished with its two seasons before you know it. 

4) Kim’s Convenience

If you’re tired of all the pandemic news and need a laugh, look no further than this Canadian sitcom.

Janet, the daughter of Korean-Canadian immigrants, must navigate school, family drama, and personal dilemmas in this slice-of-life sitcom. 

I watched all of Season 1 in the span of a few days, needing a comedy pick-me-up and a break from the news, and couldn’t stop laughing.

The storylines are as heartfelt as they are hilarious, and you’ll find yourself rooting for the entire family.

It has been renewed for fifth and sixth seasons. 

5) 3%

3%, Netflix’s first Brazilian-made original series, is perfect if you were obsessed with The Hunger Games.

Every year in a post-apocalyptic society, all 20-year-olds have the chance to participate in the Process, a competition that could secure 3% of them a better life.

Protagonist Michele is determined to dismantle the Process from the inside and expose the injustice of it — no matter who she hurts. 

For me, this is one of the most compelling takes on the rebellion/revolution storyline I’ve ever watched.

Additionally, it’s full of great disabled, female, and LGBTQ+ representation.

Currently, there are three seasons available, with a fourth coming soon.

6) Zoo

Let me be clear: this show is no masterpiece.

Parts of the plot make zero sense. You’ll wonder how it ran for three seasons.

However, I guarantee you that this will be one of the most entertaining shows you’ll ever watch.

French government agent Chloe Tousignant must team up with zoologist Jackson Oz when all the animals in the world began exhibiting strange behaviors — and attacking humans without cause. 

Like I said, don’t try to logic through this show — just sit back and watch the plot unfold.

Despite its unresolved ending, Zoo remains one of my favorite shows, if only for its sheer chaos, and it reminds me that life can always be crazier. 

7) Set It Up

If you’re like me, you might remember the female lead of “Set It Up,” Zoey Deutch, from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

In this movie, her character, Harper, teams up with another overworked and underpaid assistant to set up their bosses (all-stars Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs), all in hope of an easier work schedule. 

This star-studded rom-com is super relatable to anyone trying to break into a big industry, or anyone who knows the reality of being overworked and underpaid.

Plus, with multiple romances and plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, it may bring the levity you’ve been looking for. 

Happy watching!

Morgan Spraker is a sophomore English major at the University of Florida. She loves to write about ordinary people (fictional or real) doing extraordinary things. When she isn't searching for new stories, she's reading, exercising, spending time with friends, or obsessing over Marvel movies. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @morgan_spraker