Life > Experiences

6 Weird Inventions Every Collegiette Needs

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Nowadays, we live in a world where inventions are designed on the basis of comfort and, as college students, all of us seek the most innovative products which have maximum versatility and usefulness. Usually these items don’t have to be ones that require advanced technology, but can be small, simple ones with great advantages.

If you’re looking for new products to add to your shopping list, here are six weird-yet-useful products that you should invest in.

1. Key locator

If you’re someone like me who is constantly misplacing or losing keys, this product is perfect for you. The key locator works by attaching a tag that gives GPS accessibility to your keys from your phone allowing you to locate it at any given time. This innovative idea has been further developed in recent years, with some companies providing reminder alerts from your phone to prevent you from forgetting your keys, while others have features that allow you to share your keys’ location with others in case you need assistance in finding them. Key locators can now be found in many stores and even on Amazon.

2. Ironing board inside mirror

Whether you’re living in a residence hall or in an off-campus student apartment, chances are your space is very limited. This ironing board and mirror combo is ideal for those living situations and serves for double use. This mirror is like a closet that can be placed on the wall and opened to reveal an ironing board that can be extended whenever you need to iron any clothes.

3. Pen utensil kit

People often say that there is a fine line between genius and madness and this invention stands right on that line. This product is a great multitasking tool where a set of pens can double as convenient dining utensils. A brilliant item for people who work where they eat and for those looking for reusable products to reduce waste and help the environment.

4. Moldy Lunch Bags

If your roommate has a tendency of taking your food, this is the best invention to help combat this problem. These lunch bags have a mold-like design on the outside to deter any pesky roommates looking for their next meal.

5. Drug detecting nail polish

This innovative idea, also called “Undercover Colors” , was developed by students looking for technology that could help detect common drugs used in date rape. The nail polish works by changing colors when it comes into contact with date rape drugs and is currently in the progress of being finished. Make sure to get your hands on some when they’re released!

6. Toothpaste tube squeezer

As a proud owner of a toothpaste tube squeezer, I can attest to its usefulness. This genius invention will make sure that every penny that you paid is used until the last squeeze. The squeezer can be simply placed on the container and moved up to extract the toothpaste. These squeezers also come in different designs and colors.

Finding things that are both useful and fun at the same time can be somewhat challenging, but with these recommended pieces, your daily tasks from eating to getting dressed will be much easier.