6 Ways To Experience Winter In Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome to Florida – where going to the beach in December is nothing out of the ordinary, and snow is a foreign concept to all of us bronze beach babes. There are no hills of snow ready for sledding, no icicles glistening on the trees, and certainly no possibility of catching a snowflake on your tongue. Luckily, there are still plenty of winter-themed events in Florida to get you in the holiday spirit! Here are some of our favorite options:

1. The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney World 
Think you’d want to enjoy your holidays with Mickey and Minnie Mouse at the happiest place on Earth? If you answered “Duh,” then the The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s MGM Studios is a tradition you cannot miss. This array of lights made its way to Orlando back in 1995 when a small-town man named Jennings Osborne agreed to share his Arkansas family tradition with the millions of visitors at Walt Disney World. Thousands of lights sparkle to the tune of holiday music and can be enjoyed until January 5! Learn more here.

2. Winterfest Boat Parade in Fort Lauderdale
For 42 years, Fort Lauderdale has been celebrating winter with a one-of-a-kind boat show. This event brings in more than 1 million spectators each year and is the seventh largest one-day spectator event in the country! This year, the boat parade will be showcasing its “Passport to Paradise” theme and will be held on December 14. Learn more here.

3. Nights of Lights in St. Augustine 
Not to brag or anything, but my hometown is pretty beautiful during the holidays. St. Augustine is majestic at night, especially in December, January, and February. This little town has been glowing from the ground to the rooftops during Nights of Lights for more than 20 years. In the last two years, National Geographic even selected the city as one of the 10 best holiday lighting displays in the world. Besides the millions of lights decorating this historic city, St. Augustine offers great shopping, delicious restaurants, and even gourmet popsicles at The Hyppo in downtown. Learn more here.

4. The Space Coast Lightfest in Melbourne
Crank your engines, ladies and gentlemen, because the Space Coast Lightfest is a 1.1-mile long park that is transformed into a winter wonderland. This event attracts 15,000 vehicles annually, and the finale consists of a 200-foot light tunnel with more than 30,000 different colored lights! Tickets range from $10 to $50, so gather the whole family to get your money’s worth and experience this must-see destination together. Learn more here.

5. Celebration Town Center in Celebration
Snow isn’t something that’s easy to come by in Florida. I’ve lived here for 22 years and haven’t even seen a morsel of frozen ice. Celebration Town Center promises to give you all the snow you can wish for with snowfalls happening every hour on the hour from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. every day. Between admiring the snow, posing with Santa for some Christmas selfies, and ice skating, there is plenty of entertainment for the whole family. Learn more here.

6. Santa’s Enchanted Forest in Miami
If you love carnivals and are still hoping to make it on Santa’s nice list, then it’s time for you to head down to South Florida for Santa’s Enchanted Forest. This carnival will be sure to not disappoint. With more than 100 rides, shows, games, and attractions, Santa’s Enchanted Forest promises to deliver all the holiday spirit you could possibly handle. Visitors flock to the attraction every year to check out South Florida’s tallest Christmas tree and admire the beautiful twinkling lights. Learn more here.

Go dust off your Santa hats because it’s time to get in the holiday spirit! Happy holidays, collegiettes™!

Photo credits: 
www.deepsouthmag.com 
www.johnknoxvillage.com 
www.allaroundorlando.blogspot.com 
www.brevardnightlife.com 
www.villadirect.com 
www.miami.com

Nicole Germany is a senior at the University of Florida pursuing a degree in magazine journalism. She is currently on track to graduate fall of 2014 and hopes to land a dream job with a major magazine in New York City. Her current roles include writing for Her Campus at the University of Florida, the inspirational-fashion blog, Hello Perfect and is social media director for She's The First UF.Her previous work experience includes writing for the The Independent Florida Alligator and The Black Sheep Magazine. She also volunteered for Gainesville Fashion Week 2013 where she assisted designers by organizing clothes and other materials for the show.Nicole updates her blog weekly with different entertainment, lifestyle and DIY pieces. Her website also contains relevant online clips and short stories.http://nkgermany.wordpress.com  
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.