6 Ways to Become a Powerful Woman in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In today’s society, there are several women trademarked for being powerful, such as Kate Middleton, Oprah Winfrey, Beyoncé and Michelle Obama — the list goes on. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need a crown or a fancy title to have influence over others. Beyoncé, the queen herself, once said, “Power’s not given to you. You have to take it.”

If you dream of being someone others can look up to, it’s never too early to start building a name for yourself. Even though becoming a powerful woman is not offered as a major at UF, there are many steps you can take during your time in college to begin a successful career for yourself.

1. Have a planThe first step in becoming a powerful woman is to plan for the future. It’s okay if you don’t have your whole life figured out, but it’s helpful to have a good idea of what the next couple years will hold. Take time to map out each semester, and keep goals in mind to graduate on time. The thought of the real world might make you cringe now, but it’s one you’ll eventually have to face.

2. Invest in yourselfDuring your time in college, you will build friendships and new relationships. As valuable as these are, it is important to take time to focus on yourself. Use the time you’re given in college to build your own empire, not others’.  

3. NetworkA large benefit of attending a big university like UF is the ability to network. The Gator Nation consists of alumni, professors, students and Gators fans. Members of this elite community are on their way to developing powerful careers for themselves. By networking with them, you can make connections that could help you land a job by graduation. Gaining power is not something you can achieve by yourself. Besides, who would be better to guide you than a fellow Gator?

4. Be a trendsetterBe the one who sets trends, not follows them. This doesn’t mean you should boss others around in an attempt to be a leader. Actually, it’s quite the opposite. You should be someone who others aspire to be like whether by the way you dress, the way you act both personally and toward others or even the goals you set for the future.

5. Don’t let the word “no” stop youDetermination is key in the face of rejection. When you hear “no” or feel discouraged by crushed efforts, don’t give up. Staying strong and persistent tells the world you don’t take “no” for an answer and fight to make your dreams come true.

6. Dress for the jobThe world is your runway, so dress like it. Your outfit represents who you are. Edith Head once said, “You can have anything you want in life if you dress for it.” A powerful woman doesn’t show up wearing yoga pants and a baggy T-shirt expecting people to listen to her. She is always presentable, and her outfit shows the world she means business. When your outfit is on point, so is your life.

Following these steps during your time in college will help you make a smooth transition from a student to a woman of power. The most important thing is to believe in yourself. You have the ability to do great things if you take advantage of the opportunities available to you. Dream big, collegiettes!

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.