The 6 Professors You’ll Meet in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’ve met them all before. Whether they’re the nice lecturer every girl in class adores or the fearsome lab instructor everyone loves to hate, professors at UF come in various shapes, sizes and personalities. Surviving college isn’t just about studying hard; it’s about getting to know the people behind the movie stereotypes. Depending on your class or your major, you might have met all of these icons in a classroom setting.

1. The FeenyNo other teacher on TV was as prolific, funny and caring as George Feeny from Boy Meets World. Yes, he did live next door to a student and, yes, he did follow them all the way to college, but let’s face it: He was the best. Rarely do professors make such a huge impact on student’s lives, but UF is not without its superstars.

2. Ferris Bueller’s economics professorEconomics couldn’t possibly be more boring or hard to understand unless you add a monotone professor into the mix. Although UF students are usually lucky because economics lectures are recorded and saved online, it doesn’t help to have to listen to a professor droning on about elasticity and game theory.

3. The Severus SnapeSpeaking of tough professors, the Severus Snape professors are those you wish you could forget. Not only do they enjoy causing you misery in class by making the subject matter impossible to understand, but they also play favorites and bully whoever they don’t like. It might be hard to see past the unpleasant persona, but try to see that what you’re learning from them is probably invaluable — how to survive college against awful professors.

4. The Ross GellerRoss, the lovable nice guy from Friends, was often overlooked as a professor. Not to say he wasn’t memorable, but every once in a while we all got a jolt of surprise when we found out he was a teacher. Eventually we all get those professors who are adorable hunks. Although it may be hard to pay attention in class because he has such a great smile, he’s also a great person to talk to if you ever feel like you might need some time in office hours.

5. The YodaThe force may not be with you in your microbiology lab, but you gotta love the professor who lectures the class. He’s wise and nerdy, oblivious to his charm and always willing to help. Professors like this are hard to come by, but when they do, you’ll want to make sure to stand out.

6. The Sharon NorburyTina Fey’s character in the cult classic Mean Girls, Ms. Sharon Norbury, paved the way for strong female characters as role models who just happened to be in education. Depicted as an independent woman , she gave all girls a lesson in what it takes to be a good individual. Whether your UF professor tries to get you to join the organization they advise or if they serve as your moral compass, make sure to thank them every once in a while for being the great individual they are.

Your professors in college might not be your best friends, but they are usually people who care about their students, whether they’ve learned your name or not. Surviving college doesn’t just depend on studying hard. It also depends on the relationships you create with the people who teach you and the life lessons they choose to give you.

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.