5 Ways to Meet New People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

At a large public university like UF, it’s easy to feel like you’re a little fish in a big pond – a pond filled with about 50,000 other fish to be exact. No matter how outgoing you may be, it can be a tad overwhelming and intimidating to put yourself out there and make new friends. But have no fear because Her Campus UFL is here to help you overcome this daunting task with five ways to meet new people:

1. Online 
Have you ever wanted to travel the world but haven’t had the funding to do so? Well this is your chance to travel and meet new people from the comfort of your own home. Couchsurfing.org is an online community that gives you the opportunity to meet new people from around the globe. All you do is offer world travelers a place to stay. It may seem a little sketchy at first, but it’s not as creepy as it sounds. If you are compelled to try this, make sure you take extra precautions. Review profiles carefully; read user feedback; and, don’t be afraid to reach out to the CouchSurfing team if you need help.

2. Apps 
Use those thumbs to your advantage! There are so many apps to choose from these days, so I’m sure you’ll find something that suits your fancy. Tinder is a popular option that lets you swipe left until you find someone you’re interested in. It also allows you to invest time in getting to know the person. This app helps you go out of your comfort zone because it gives you a chance to meet new people based on location instead of just connecting with people you already know.

3. The Elevator  
You know that awkward silence when you’re just standing there twiddling your thumbs or pretending to text because it’s so awkward in there? Well, try saying something next time. To start the conversation, give the other person a compliment like, “I love your (insert name of item here). Where did you get it?” This is probably the easiest way to start conversation with someone. Who knows… That person could be your next best friend, boyfriend, or maid of honor. You’ll never know until you give it a try.

4. Classes 
Taking random classes you wouldn’t otherwise take will put you in the perfect position to meet new people. Did you know UF offers a scuba diving class? There are so many other classes you’d never expect to be able to take, such as Magic and Witchcraft, Age of Blockbuster, and the Tao of Star Trek. It could give you a chance to finally meet someone who’s secretly just as obsessed with Harry Potter and Star Trek as you are.

5. Volunteer 
Go out in the community, and make a difference. If you’re really passionate about animals, there are many shelters you could volunteer for once a week. Giving back to the community will not only make you feel great, but you’ll be surrounded by people who care about others as well. This is your chance to knock out two birds with one stone; you’ll have the chance to build lifelong friendships with other volunteers and play an active part in your community.

Photo Credits: 
www.girlsguideto.com  
www.readwrite.com 
www.poptent.com  
www.travelingschool.com  
www.npengage.com

I'm passionately curious. www.StephanieTinoco.com www.Facebook.com/StephanieTinocoNEWS @tinocosc StephanieTinoco@mail.com
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.