5 Ways To Be A Better Intern This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Internships are great. You put those skills you learned in class to work, future employers like to see them on your resume, and you get to find out if what you’re doing is really the path you want to take in the future. After being at a single internship for some time, though, it’s easy to feel burnt out. You go through all of the motions of your intern duties, but then you start to feel that it’s just not giving you the spark it gave you in the beginning. While you’re still on the annual “new year, new you” kick, keep these tips in mind to continue getting the most from the experience.

1. Continue to ask questions

This one is probably one of the hardest for me to follow. I get so caught up thinking that what I’m asking is probably dumb, but I have to remember that it’s not. Internships are a learning experience, even if you’ve been working at your internship for some time. If you don’t ask, you’ll never know.

2. Talk to everyone

I personally intern at a large company, and it’s impossible to get to know everyone personally, but at least have a conversation with people outside your department. It’s not only a great way to learn how each part of the company intersect, but it’s an awesome networking opportunity.

3. Change your style

What you wear has a lot to do with the way you feel. If you feel stylish and professional, you’ll have the confidence to keep going even after being there for six hours. 

4. Show up (on time)

You may be at the bottom of the department team but your work and skills are needed and beneficial to making everything run smoothly. Just think: Andy was basically Miranda’s backbone.

5. Ask for feedback

Typically, you won’t have a final review of your work until at the end of the internship so asking for feedback on a regular basis will let you know where you stand, it’ll show you can take initiative and you’re willing to make improvements to have the best possible experience.

Understand that the success of your internship is (almost) entirely up to you. Keep showing up and trying your best.

Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.