5 Transitional Fall Pieces Every College Girl Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The temperatures in Gainesville are finally dropping below 90 degrees, and girls everywhere are begging to break out their cute fall outfits. What’s a Gator collegiette to do when it’s 60 degrees in the morning but 80 degrees during the day? The key to dressing well during fall in Gainesville is using a few key transitional pieces of clothing that will keep you stylish (and comfortable) all day long.

1. Scarf: Personally, I’m a huge fan of scarves, whether it’s an infinity scarf, patterned scarf or knit scarf. They’re also an easy way to let Gainesville know you realize it’s actually November and not June. Add a patterned scarf to a simpler outfit or a neon scarf to an outfit that needs a pop of color. The perfect complement to a simple jean ensemble, scarves also perfectly pair with a simple, pleated maxi to take the place of a statement necklace.

2. Loose cardigan: The best way to dress for a varying climate is by layering. Adding a loose cardigan to an outfit is an easy way to stay warm in the morning but still have the flexibility to shed a layer to stay cool in the afternoon. Throw it on over a sundress, a tank top or a crop top before going out to add the extra touch of “fall” to your attire. Cardigans come in all lengths and fits, so they can just as easily appeal to your inner prepster as they can to your inner hipster. From J.Crew to Urban Outfitters, there’s an option that’s a good fit for you.

3. Patterned leggings: If you’re a stereotypical college girl, you probably own upwards of a dozen pairs of leggings. I support you. Leggings are a girl’s best friend — right after Nike shorts (and diamonds of course). Patterned leggings are an ideal way to get the same level of comfort you’d find in traditional black leggings but with a little more excitement. They’ll keep you warm on your walk to class, and they can be paired with a loose-fitting T-shirt to make sure you don’t get overheated. From tribal to paisley, patterned leggings come in all different patterns, so you can decide how loud of a pattern you’re feeling.

4. Converse: Combat boots are so last season. Converse sneakers are the perfect transitional shoes because they’re just as perfect in the middle of fall as they are in the middle of summer. Trekking to class and trekking through the leaves has never been better than while wearing a pair of shiny white Converse on your feet. They are comfortable, cute and match with everything. Although, if you do decide to invest in a pair of white Converse, be sure to invest in a bottle of bleach, too!

5. Jean jacket: This classic piece of outerwear is traditionally thought of as a summer staple, but I like to argue it’s a perfect fall transitional piece as well. It’s another easy layering piece, and it can add a fun pop of denim to any outfit. If you aren’t a fan of the jean jacket, I would suggest a chambray shirt as a more lightweight alternative. It still adds the same vibe but with a bit more of a casual feel. Keep your jean jacket in rotation throughout the fall, and reuse it with a cute romper over the summer.

With these few pieces stocked in your closet, you’re sure to have a trendy semester with lots of cute outfits. As long as you remember to layer, stick to the basics and have fun with your outfits, your fall wardrobe will be perfect!