5 Times ‘BoJack Horseman’ Was Honestly Way Too Relatable for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“BoJack Horseman” is one of those TV shows that you can really analyze. My friends and I have spent hours talking about themes, plotlines, characters and of course, our favorite quotes. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the show that are especially relatable to us college kids.

“Yeah, I ate them all in one sitting because I have no self-control and I hate myself.” -BoJack Horseman (season one, episode two)

This is such a mood. As college students, we live with weird schedules. We eat when we can, even if that means eating an entire box of muffins at midnight. It’s not our fault we need to be at the library for hours upon hours and forget to eat substantial meals.

“Not understanding that you’re a horrible person doesn’t make you less of a horrible person.” – BoJack Horseman (season one, episode two)

Is this not what you want to say to every guy that ghosts you? This line has such a powerful punch to it both in and out of context. It’s one of my favorite lines of the show because of its realness and versatility—it can apply to frat guys, rude TAs and those people who jump in front of you while driving on campus

“I just spent six hours playing with fonts? Holy sh*t.” – BoJack Horseman (season one, episode six)

Ever write an essay for a class you really hate and think it’s pointless? You know this feeling then. Sometimes the hardest part of 2,000 word paper isn’t the assignment itself, but rather the motivation to write it out.

“I need to go to take a shower so I can’t tell if I’m crying or not.” – BoJack Horseman (season one, episode 11)

This is honestly such an end-of-the-semester mood. Nothing beats a hot shower after sitting in the library for hours doing projects, quizzes and studying for finals. College life can really get to us, and sometimes all we need is a hot shower and a good cry sesh. 

“Because my life is a mess right now and I compulsively take care of other people when I don’t know how to take care of myself.” – Princess Caroline (season two, episode 12)

As famously said by the students of the “High School Musical” East High, “We’re all in this together.” We may have daily mental breakdowns of our own, but the second your bestie sheds a single tear, you’re banging on their door with ice cream and an old rom-com. We take care of our friends, no matter what.

If we’ve learned anything about “BoJack Horseman,” it’s that it’s painfully relatable for those of us in college. When I watch it, all I can think is, “I came out to have a good time and I’m honestly feeling so attacked right now.”

Christina Pugliese is a sophomore majoring in telecommunications and history with a minor in women's studies at the University of Florida. She loves traveling and learning, so it didn't surprise anyone that she wanted to be an investigative reporter. She has told stories from many different cities, and she wants to tell more! This planet has so many unique experiences to offer, and she needs to experience them all. When she is not traveling, you can find her volunteering, shopping, writing, discussing politics, or planning her next trip.