5 Summer Music Festivals That Are Worth Your Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s that time of year again where your Instagram feeds are swarmed with wanderlust music festival pictures. 2018 is the prime year for festival lineups, and frankly, many are worth breaking the bank. Here are the top five music festivals that I recommend spending that extra cash for.

1.  Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival / June 7-10

Located in the rolling hills of central Tennessee, the eclectic 80’s themed party is building up the hype for their epic lineup this year. The show’s main acts cts consist of Khalid, Paramore, Eminem and The Killers. Alternative artist, Bon Iver, will be making a special appearance with “2 unique sets” according to the festival’s website. Although the more popular artists are not performing until Friday night, some smaller artists are playing all day Thursday and early in the afternoons throughout the weekend. The smaller acts are totally worth checking out though, because you never know, they might be headlining the festival in the future. Aside from the musical performances, Bonnaroo also offers various other activities such as Yoga, a 5k run and parades. The Bonnaroo experience is topped off with the ample amounts of cuisine from all over the United States, with vegan and vegetarian options included. Tickets are still on sale for Bonnaroo 2018, but they are going fast (as always, these music festivals sell out quick).

The standard 4-day general admission pass is currently $324 and allows you admittance into all of the musical performances and festival grounds.

2.    Firefly Music Festival / June 14-17

One week and just a couple of states over from Bonnaroo is the Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Delaware. Taking on a more naturistic and woodsy atmosphere, Firefly is sure to be an excellent option for outdoor-lovers. The lineup for this festival captures all types of music from the cryptic rap tones of Eminem to the freehearted rhythmic sounds of Lord Huron. Firefly is a haven for hammock enthusiasts everywhere, with a whole forest of hammocks for swinging and taking a break from the summer heat. You can also watch thousands of lights glow up among the trees at night, which is an ethereal sight to see. Another unique feature returning to the festival this year is The Pathway, which comes alive during the nights hours with lighting displays.

The general admission ticket price for Firefly is currently $329, but as the festival nears the price will go up, so don’t miss out!

3.    Bunbury / June 1-3

Located in the heart of Cincinnati along the Ohio River, Bunbury Music festival takes on the aspect of an urban music festival. The main acts include The Chainsmokers, Blink-182, Post Malone and Incubus. Unlike Bonnaroo and Firefly, Bunbury is all about the music, food and beer. The main attraction is the Craft Beer Village featuring beers from Braxton Brewing Company hailing from central Kentucky, perfect for the laid back person in all of us. Covering the outskirts of the festival grounds are numerous vendors to eat, drink and shop at, all while soaking in the Cincy sun.

Tickets for Bunbury are $179 for a 3-day general admission pass and only $79 for a single day. If you’d like more bang for your buck, Bunbury is the way to go.

4.    Hangout Music Festival / May 18-20

Located on Alabama’s sunny Gulf Shores, Hangout Music Festival caters to your vision of a tropical paradise with good times and great music. Taking over the main stage located right on the beach are artists including Kendrick Lamar, Halsey, The Killers and Portugal. The Man. Aside from the music, Hangout offers many beach activities such as kayaking, paddle boarding, sand volleyball, and of course dipping your feet in the warm waters of the Gulf of New Mexico. There is also a whole area dedicated to reliving your childhood summer camp days, featuring nightly bonfires, s’mores and other classic camp activities.

You have access to all that Hangout has to offer for only $299; what’s better than seeing your favorite bands live and getting your beach fix?

5.    Sasquatch! / May 25-27

If you are in search of a music festival that has more alternative and indie-rock artists, Sasquatch! Music Festival has alt-icons Bon Iver, The National and Modest Mouse headlining. Not only does Sasquatch! provide the tunes, but the grounds are located in the picturesque canyons of George, Washington along the Columbia River. While there are not many vendors or activities included in the music festival, camping is highly-recommended to enjoy the full experience of being outdoors and catching a look at the vast night sky.

A three-day pass for Sasquatch! is $325, which does not include camping but allows access to all music acts.

Summer 2018 is almost among us, and so is the summer music scene. If you’re looking to break the norm of going on a family beach vacation, consider splurging a little and attending a music festival this summer. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself to some good music after a hectic semester of school.