5 Signs You Found Your College BFF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everyone has at least one person who comes to mind when they think of the phrase “best friend.” This is your designated shoulder to cry on and your future maid of honor. She’s the Serena to your Blair, the Monica to your Rachel. It is very likely you will meet her in college. Maybe she’s your roommate or a sorority sister. Maybe she’s the girl you sat next to on the first day of class or your former lab partner. If you can relate to these five signs below, you’ll know your sister from another mister truly is your BFF.

1. You share similar interests. The majority of friendships form out of shared interests. Music, religion and academics are what first foster acquaintances. These similarities give people something to talk about, which leads to the beginning of a friendship. Sharing a love for the same things is critical because it always gives you something to talk about or do together. If you have a lot to bond over right off the bat, this is the first sign that she just might be your BFF.

2. They know all of your quirks but love you anyway. A true best friend will love you no matter what. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but your best friend should be someone who loves all of your imperfections. There are also no secrets in a best friend relationship. You must be able to tell this person everything, including all of your weird quirks and embarrassing stories. Remember that time your crush caught you with toilet paper stuck to your shoe? In a BFF relationship, all your cards are on the table. There is absolutely no judgment.

3. You can be completely honest with each other.Honesty is a crucial part of every relationship. A real friend doesn’t tell you what you want to hear; they tell you what you need to hear. The truth might hurt, but it shows that they care for you enough to tell you the truth. It is important not to take offense when a friend is being honest with you — they’re trying to help you, not hurt you. If you have a friend who is 100 percent honest with you, then hold on tight because you have found something rare.

4.  They stand next to you no matter what. Everyone has moments when they feel like breaking down and crying, which is when best friends are needed most. Whether it’s after a bad breakup, a not-so-great test score or a finals week mental breakdown, everyone needs a friend to lean on. She should also be someone you can seek advice from. Your best friend will become your go-to girl whenever you’re in need of guidance. Who better to help you out than the girl who knows you best?

5. They know you better than you know yourself.A strong indicator you have found your best friend is if they know you better than anyone else in your life. They can quote all of your favorite movies and sing along to your favorite song. She also knows all of the characteristics that make up your perfect man. This makes her the only person in the world who could successfully set you up on a blind date. A friend who knows you this well is truly irreplaceable.

If you have a friendship that exhibits all of these characteristics, then chances are you have found your best friend. Congratulations! Consider yourself lucky to have found such a meaningful relationship that will last a lifetime.

Photo credit:www.epicdash.com

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.