5 Plant-Based Versions of Your Favorite Thanksgiving Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’ve loved Thanksgiving since I was a kid. Watching my stepdad hustle around the kitchen like nobody’s business. Playing board games with my older sisters. Ending the day with pumpkin pie and Christmas movies. I love the idea of taking the time to reflect on all the blessings you have been given throughout the year. Appreciating friends and family despite the hectic nature of 2020 is a reminder that no matter the occasion, there is always something to be thankful for. That said, my experience with the holiday was a little bit simpler before I made the switch to a plant-based diet. Many Thanksgiving dishes are not vegetarian or vegan friendly. If it wasn’t for my dad so graciously cooking dish after vegetarian dish to bring to family gatherings, I might have been destined to a meal entirely composed of dinner rolls and green beans. If you’re cooking up a dish for someone who doesn’t consume animal products, look no further! Here are five vegan-friendly dishes perfect for the holiday season (stepdad approved!).

Stuffing

Stuffing is a classic Thanksgiving side dish. Unfortunately, many recipes include both bone broth and eggs, which are not vegan-friendly. Luckily, by subbing the meat for lentils (or faux meat if you prefer), eggs for flax eggs and bone broth for vegetable broth, you can still enjoy this holiday favorite. A recipe can be found here.

Mashed potatoes

I have so many fond memories of making mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving with my grandma. Standing on a stool and helping her put everything into the mixer made me feel grown and involved in the festivities. While she may not be here anymore, this dish never ceases to remind me of her and her impact on me and others in my family. If you’re looking for a plant-based mashed potato dish (AKA one without milk or butter) I recommend this one!

Green bean casserole

Green bean casserole is one of my favorite dishes, although the only time I seem to eat it is on Thanksgiving. It, unfortunately, uses milk, and in some cases, cream of mushroom soup. Both of which make this dish not vegan-friendly. However, this recipe swaps out the milk for almond milk, chicken broth for vegetable broth and butter for vegan butter or olive oil! This green bean casserole is so good you’ll want to eat it every day of the year.

Cornbread

What would Thanksgiving be without cornbread? Cornbread is the perfect side-dish for Thanksgiving and any other holiday-themed get-together because it pairs well with virtually any dish! It also makes use of items you may already have laying around your kitchen. Well, what are you waiting for? Using this recipe, you could be eating cornbread in less than an hour (well, 42 minutes if we’re getting exact). 

Pumpkin pie

What would Thanksgiving be without dessert? Nothing I love more than to end the night with a slice or two of pumpkin pie and “Charlie Brown Christmas!” This recipe is super easy and is guaranteed to have your guests (vegan or not) going back for seconds. 

I’m so thankful to have friends and family to sit down with and enjoy a hot, home-cooked meal each year. I am thankful to live in a place with groceries and a plant-based lifestyle is accessible. I am thankful to always have endless recipes available with just a push of a button. I am thankful to belong to the inclusive and loving community that is Her Campus UFL. I hope that wherever you are celebrating Thanksgiving this year, it’s a day full of love, light and amazing food.

Shay is a second year advertising major, leadership minor. She likes traveling, eating vegetarian food, and petting her dog, Ziggy. She hopes to pursue a career in account management after graduating.