5 Lessons Grey’s Anatomy Taught Us About Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“You’re my person.” The three words that everyone knows come from Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang on Grey’s Anatomy. I think we can all agree that Meredith and Cristina are the ultimate definition of best friend goals. Since Season 1 of the show, they’ve gone through some intense ups and downs, but no matter what happens, their friendship always comes out on top. Here are five lessons we can learn from Meredith and Cristina’s friendship.

1. You can find your “person” in the most unlikely person.

Let me explain. Meredith and Cristina have very different personalities, in fact they are practically complete opposites, yet somehow they get along perfectly. This can be true of any friendship that may come your way. Remember: opposites attract.

2. Friends who go through hardships together, stay together.

Most likely, no “typical” friends will likely get into a plane crash together, survive shootings together or go through multiple divorces and deaths within a few years, but Meredith and Cristina got through it all and became closer each step of the way. Through this, Grey’s Anatomy teaches us that there will be hardships in life, but always knowing that you have a friend there to help you out can make that friendship so much stronger.

3. Friends are there for you even when boys aren’t.

Throughout the show, both Meredith and Cristina go through some crazy boy drama, including hookups, divorces and everything in between. In the end, they knew they could always count on each other to be there through it all, which is probably what kept them (mostly) sane. Whether you need advice, a shoulder to cry on or just someone to watch movies and drink tequila with, your best friend should always be your go-to.

4. Regular dance parties with your best friend are essential.

Whether it was to get out anger and frustration or to just let loose and have a good time, Meredith and Cristina’s infamous dance parties were an important part of their friendship. So next time you and your best friend are just hanging out, blast some music and have a spontaneous little dance party for the sake of your friendship.

5. Friendships are forever.

No matter what happened, Meredith and Cristina vowed to stay friends, even after Cristina left the show. We learned that true friendship knows no bounds, even if it means having to FaceTime and call each other from different countries. No matter where life takes you, friendships last.

Even if you haven’t found your person yet, don’t lose hope. You never know where you will be in life when you stumble upon someone who will become your best friend. Thanks for the lessons, Grey’s.