Style

5 Last-Minute Halloween Costumes You Can Create with a Plaid Skirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Did Halloween sneak up on you? Do you have nothing to wear? We’ve all been there. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Here are five Halloween costume ideas that you can create with a trusty plaid skirt. It doesn’t matter if the skirt is left over from your private school days or if you bought it to be trendy. Any plaid skirt can work for these ideas.

Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf, a.k.a. Queen B of the Upper East Side, is such a fun and easy costume, especially if you watched Gossip Girl religiously. She is my all-time favorite character from the show. You can easily steal her school-girl style with a plaid skirt, silky blouse, matching loafers and, of course, her signature headband. Bonus points if you can snag someone to be your Chuck Bass for the night.

Cher Horowitz

If you’re not feeling NYC, you can be a Valley girl for the night instead by recreating a ‘90s fave: Cher from Clueless. While a yellow matching plaid set is Cher-approved, you can easily use whatever plaid skirt and blazer number you have on hand with a fitted white shirt. Throw on some white knee-high socks and white sneakers, and you’re ready to go! A bulky cell phone and terrible driving skills aren’t needed to pull off this look.

Hermione Granger

You’ll definitely win over any Potterheads at the costume party by going as Hermione Granger. You may need to spend a little more time getting Hermione’s signature (and messy) curls, but the outfit is the easy part. Just pair that plaid skirt with a white button-up shirt, some black ballet flats, socks, a long cardigan and a tie. Bonus points for an authentic Gryffindor tie, but if it’s really last minute, any red tie will do!

Rachel Green

Luckily the ‘90s are making a comeback, so going as Rachel from Friends is easier than ever. With your plaid skirt, you’ll need a fitted high-neck top, knee-high socks and chunky booties. You probably already have these things in your closet. You may or may not find your lobster at whatever costume party you’re going to, but at least you’ll look cute!

Veronica Lodge

Last, but certainly not least, is our favorite it-girl from Riverdale: Veronica Lodge. Luckily, season three of the hit show is back, so you’ll definitely have talking points. To recreate her look for Halloween, all you need is your trusty plaid skirt, a high-neck crop top, black heels and a pearl necklace. Optional: convincing a boy to be your Archie Andrews.

There you have it, five costume ideas using a plaid skirt for all the procrastinators out there. Happy Halloween!

Hi I'm Bailey! I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking 20 something year old college student. I love the Florida Gators, the color navy, and carbs. Follow along while I try to balance school and my love of fashion!