5 Great (and not so Great) Things About Having College Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

So you’ve finally escaped your bratty younger brother and nagging parents. That means freedom at last, right? Here are five perks of having college roommates… or maybe not:

1. If you love sharing, you’re in luck. You brought the Brita filter, and your roommate brought the can opener. You have the perfect floral scarf for your roommate’s chambray shirt, and she has the Pinterest-crafted American flag shorts you need for a patriotic party. Everyone wins. 

If you don’t, you’re going to have a tough time. Sorry, but you’re bound to notice your bag of spicy-sweet Doritos occasionally emptier or find your paper towel supply depleted.

2. You always have a designated buddy for all of your activities. You’ll never have to search for a pregame partner or worry about walking home alone at night. You have someone to greet when you come home, chat with while you cook dinner, and vent to when you’re upset. 

But maybe you’d rather not have someone invade all of your personal space and tag along with your friend group. Sometimes you just need some me time, but it’s hard to catch a moment alone. And things can just get awkward when you make exclusive plans that your roommate expects to be invited to.

3. If you need a small favor, you always have someone to ask. If you forgot that one grocery item from Publix or need a ride, you can bet on asking your roommate because she’s around and knows you’d do the same for her. 

But you may get taken advantage of and be the one doing all the favors. You can’t avoid your roommate asking you for favors – they know where you live. Whether it’s forgetting to pay you back that $15 she borrowed, even after two reminders, or frequently using your printer paper, small favors can start to be annoying.

4. You won’t have to do all of the cleaning chores by yourself. If you have a good system with your roommate(s), cleaning is quick and easy, especially with trade-off duties like putting away plates and utensils from the dishwasher. Just think: when you come home and the nearly full garbage bag was already taken out or when you open the microwave and realize the sauce spots have vanished — it’s the little things. 

But you may end up cleaning everything. If your roommate neglects cleaning duties, things can get ugly fast — and not just regarding grimy counters. What starts as a minor nuisance, could quickly evolve into a passive-aggressive note war.

5. You could potentially find your new best friend. Sometimes roommates are just roommates and nothing more. Most friends are just friends because you know living with them would jeopardize your relationship. But every once in a while, there are those roommates who are on the same page as you and can be your friend at the same time. When you mesh on both levels, it’s a beautiful, magical thing. 

Or you could potentially find your new archenemy. Nothing ruins a friendship faster than obnoxious alarm clocks going off at 5 a.m. when you’re trying to sleep, getting locked out when you’re showering in the communal dorm, or just generally butting heads. It’s easy to get hostile when people you severely dislike are always around you.

Depending on your situation, living with roommates can be both a blessing and a curse. But just like everything else in college, it takes a little experimentation to figure out what (or who) is right for you.

Photo Credit:www.rentcafe.com

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.