alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Day Trips That Go Beyond the Pumpkin Patch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Fall is a magical time in Florida – as the heat dies down and people break out their jackets, there’s a sense of adventure in the air. Instagram feeds are filled with images of pumpkin patches and #sweaterweather selfies. Grab yourself a latte and check out some day trips that will show you a whole new part of Florida.

Trip #1: ‘The Oldest City in America,’ St. Augustine 

Only a few hours away, this waterside gem is the perfect start for a fall day trip. Check out some fun tours like the famous Old Town Trolley Tour, the Ghost Tour or The San Sebastian Winery tour (it’s complimentary). As you wander around St. George Street, stop in for some delicious food at any one of the restaurants lining the street. And don’t forget to take your photo in front of the famous Castillo de San Marcos fort. If you go during the right time you can even watch a ceremonial cannon firing. 

Trip #2 The Dali Museum

Located in St. Petersburg, this treasure of Florida is home to some of Dali’s best pieces of work. Wander around and experience beautiful surrealist art in an equally stunning building. With unique sculptures and landscaping, the museum’s grounds are as beautiful as the art itself. Go on a Sunday where the museum’s cafe offers brunch and garden seating.

Trip #3 Ybor City

A fun getaway from Gainesville, Ybor City offers great vintage, food, and more! As the previous Cigar Capital of the World, Ybor City is rich in Florida culture and has tons to explore. Spend the day wandering around its historic buildings, check out the city’s famous breweries or snap a photo with the famous wild chickens that have roamed the streets for ages. Check to see if there’s a fun event ahead of your trip, as Ybor City hosts over 100 each year!

Trip #4 Bok Tower Gardens

This beautiful garden has been voted into TripAdvisor’s Hall of Fame five years in a row. At almost 50 acres, there’s a variety of beautiful greenery to explore. The garden itself offers hiking, geocaching, live music – there’s something for everyone! Bring a picnic or eat in the garden’s cafe. Just be sure to leave time for photos, as the garden boasts multiple specialized areas such as an air plant garden, pollinator garden and an endangered plants garden.

Trip #5 The Florida Aquarium

Located in Tampa, the Florida Aquarium is a must. This is as close as you can get to explore the Atlantic and Gulf yourself. With multiple tours offered, you can hang with penguins, go on a wild dolphin spotting adventure or even dive in the tanks themselves. Check for special events, like Brews by the Bay for an unforgettable time.

Have fun, go explore your own backyard! And don’t forget to take lots of pics.

Obsessed with all things natural. Let's keep growing. ?
Iesha Ismail studied as a double major in English and Women's Studies at the University of Florida. Iesha is the High School/Her Future editor, a Feature Writer, and Style Blogger for Her Campus National. She was also the senior editor for Her Campus UFL and senior content editor for UF's Sparks Magazine. She is currently working in editorial for a financial research publication firm, and a guest contributor for Muslim Women Professionals. Iesha loves to observe nature and fashion as inspiration for all kinds writing she's into. Fashion, culture, drawing, and animation are just a few of the passions she plays with on the daily. Whether it's writing colorful stories or sketching in her worn out sketchbooks, Iesha always dabbles in anything art.