This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For many, the shift in cool weather around the holidays marks a shift in their mental health. While this time might signify a moment of celebration and joy, it can also lead to feelings of loneliness and sadness. According to the National Institutes of Health, the winter blues are a common reaction to shortened days and cooler temperatures. As a result of reduced sunlight, your body’s internal clock or circadian rhythm is altered, which can lead to impacted mental health. This is a completely normal way to feel as your body adjusts to these changes. Whenever this season rolls around, it’s crucial to find activities that help prevent those feelings from bubbling up and if they do, keep them at bay. During the holiday season, it’s important to stay connected to loved ones, soak up as much sunshine as possible and eat healthy food. As someone who has dealt with seasonal sadness for quite some time, movies were a source of comfort and healing.

Movies can provide viewers with an escape from the mundane realities of real life through interesting plots, visually pleasing graphics and heartwarming characters. While everyone finds different things comforting, I recommend giving these movies a shot next time you feel down. 

“Ponyo” (2008) 

This movie might come as no surprise to fellow Studio Ghibli fans. From the moment I watched this as a kid, it quickly became one of my favorite films of all time. The animated film follows the story of goldfish princess, Ponyo, as she adventures on land with her newfound friend Sosuke. Ponyo desires to be a human girl, but the process is not too simple. While it’s a film for children, the warmth and joy of the film is perfect for people of any age. Through the friendships, food and scenery, viewers are immersed into a fantasy world where anything can happen. The movie is nothing short of a rollercoaster ride that helps viewers forget about the outside world. With its magical themes and lighthearted style, “Ponyo” is a warm movie for drabby winter days.

“Star Wars: A New Hope” (1977)

Recognized by many as one of the greatest movie franchises, it’s no surprise that a “Star Wars” film needed to be included. While I don’t have memories growing up and watching the films, my friends introduced me to the movies over the summer. As a horror movie fanatic, “Star Wars” films are a bit outside of my realm, but that’s why I believe “A New Hope” is such a good film. I believe that it’s a film that anyone can get into despite their movie niche and interests. As the first movie of the franchise, it introduces many important characters, such as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia. It is a great start for people who might’ve never seen Star Wars before because it’s the first film that ever got released. Filled with action, comedy, romance and iconic scenes, “A New Hope” is an amazing film for moments when you need an escape. It introduces you to a new world of intergalactic mayhem and, ultimately, hope. 

“Child’s Play” (1988)

While Chucky was nightmare fuel for many of us, I believe “Child’s Play” is a film that grows on when you rewatch it as an adult. The first film of the franchise introduces us to Chucky, a doll possessed with the soul of a serial killer. Throughout the film, the protagonists must try to kill Chucky in order to stop him from tormenting the family. Despite being marketed as a horror film, “Child’s Play” has a very comedic feel. From the premise of a murderous doll running loose, Chucky’s erratic movements and his blunt jokes, the movie can be a very enjoyable and funny experience. While this might not be everyone’s first pick, I recommend giving it a shot when you need an unexpected laugh.

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” (2001)

Sometimes, comfort comes in the form of emotional release. If you need to cry your heart out, “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is the movie for you. In true Charlie Kaufman fashion, the psychological drama explores themes of romance, memory and loss. The film follows a couple, Joel and Clementine, through the fallout of their relationship. After Joel finds out that Clementine had a medical procedure that erased her memories of their relationship, he decides to follow suit and get the same procedure. The film recounts the process of losing all his memories with Clementine and the struggle of letting go of love, despite how complicated the relationship might have been. The film has a bittersweet undertone, but there are heartwarming scenes that show the importance of certain relationships, even after they end. While it may not be the most optimistic film, it is comforting for those that have gone through similar situations or need to let a couple tears out. 

“Wall-E” (2008)

The message of “Wall-E” is clear: We need to change our ways to ensure our planet exists for the next generations. While the movie talks about heavy topics, such as consumerism, environmental collapse and waste management, the messenger is a humble, unintimidating robot known as WALL-E. Through his adventures with his love interest, Eve, the pair seek to restore the path of humankind on Earth, which  became a desolate and barren wasteland. The cautionary tale is sure to cheer up those that feel overwhelmed with the current climate crisis and provide a bit of hope for the future. Wall-E shows us that we can change our future as long as we care for our present and put in effort to avoid disaster before it gets to the point of no return. 

While these movies aren’t a cure for winter blues, I hope they provide you with a sense of comfort during this holiday season. It’s important to take care of your mental health in any way you may find necessary, even if it means bundling up, making hot cocoa and having a movie marathon.

Arlette is a third year Journalism major and Latin American Studies minor at the University of Florida. Born and raised in Miami, they love anything that connects them to nature and sunshine. Whenever they aren't reading or writing, they can be found gardening, baking, crafting, or analyzing psychological thrillers. Passionate about all things people centered, they hope to pursue a career that allows them to stay close and accountable to their community.