5 Chic Trends that are Coming Back into Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This past summer I lived in London, and as we all know, London is one of the fashion capitals of the world. I loved living there and people watching while I walked to the tube station to go to work each morning because there was always an interesting outfit to see. Fashion trends in Europe tend to spark the American fashion trends, and I have already begun to see some of my favorite outfit staples in Europe more and more in American magazines and even around campus! Here are the top five trends that are coming back into style here in the U.S.

1. Tulle skirtsMy favorite of these trends would undoubtedly have to be the readmission of the tulle skirt. While I was shopping in Italy this summer, I saw one in a store display window and knew that I needed to have that look in my closet. Tulle skirts are extremely versatile in that you can create an outfit that is simple and sweet or an outfit that is edgy and statement-making. A black leather jacket with a short peach tulle skirt looks incredible if you’re looking for an earthy colored style. Alternatively, a brightly colored lace top and midi tulle skirt look oh so chic when paired together for a daytime look.

2. Choker necklacesThis trend has been getting a lot of buzz lately. In locations such as Australia and Europe, choker necklaces are seen all over the place! In America, many girls are letting their opinions be known as to whether or not they support this ’90s trend. Choker necklaces can definitely be tasteful and classy if you know how to style your outfit. It’s all about the material you choose! If you go for the plastic style, then yes, it will look cheap, but there are plenty of choker necklaces out there that are sterling silver and look gorgeous with a sundress. But if you are looking for an edgy and grungy style, then the simple black choker is your item!

3. Flared pantsAdmit it. We all had flared jeans when we were younger and it was all the rage. Surprisingly the trend has returned! Flared jeans, especially high-waisted flared jeans, can actually look really cute, especially if you are already tall or have a love for stilettos. Because flared pants make a statement on their own, it’s a good idea to go more minimalistic when it comes to choosing the top. Stay away from crazy prints, or you’ll look like you stepped out of a ’70s movie. Instead, opt for solid-colored crop tops or halter-style tops.

4. Jean skirtsMy love of jean skirts never disappeared, but for many the trend completely left their closets within the past seven years or so. Jean skirts have become super fashionable lately and have been created by many different fashion designers in different lengths, styles and colors. Asymmetrical is in and so are high-waisted jean skirts. I guarantee that they’ll be a staple item in every girls closet within the next few months! This is because they’re so versatile and feminine. A jean skirt with an off-the-shoulder sweater looks adorable with ballet flats. The trend has even caught on with denim skater skirts if you’re into more loosely fitting clothing items.

5. Paisley printI’m not talking about the paisley you see on wallpaper or curtains. This paisley is the gorgeous fashion-forward type. Recently, paisley prints have been seen in pastel shades of purple, pink and blue, especially when it comes to rompers and jumpsuits. 

Photo credit:www.pinterest.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.