5 Books To Curl Up With Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Picture this: a comfy couch, a warm blanket, a warm cup of hot chocolate and a good book.  Doesn’t this seem like a perfect winter night?  During the semester, us collegiates rarely have a moment to pause and enjoy a good read.  Sure, our assigned readings for our courses may be good, but winter break gives us a chance to catch up on the titles we have been waiting to read for months. Here’s some of the books I have been waiting to read all semester:

1. The Hate U Give

When John Green, one of my favorite authors, claims that a story is “stunning”, I take note. This book is definitely on the top of my list. The Hate U Give tells the story of Starr, a sixteen-year-old African American girl who lives in a poor neighborhood but attends a fancy private school. When her best friend is shot by a police officer, her life is turned upside down.  Police brutality is a hot-button issue in the United States. Angie Thomas, author of The Hate U Give, shows her thoughts and experiences through Starr. This one probably won’t be a light read, but it is an important one.

2. Little Fires Everywhere

Little Fires Everywhere was an instant New York Times bestseller and was Entertainment Weekly’s Number One pick for Fall, so it’s a big deal. Little Fires Everywhere takes place in fictional Shaker Heights, a town where everything is planned. When single-mom Mia and her daughter Pearl move into town, their unknown past and disregard for the status quo threaten the social norms of Shaker Heights, leading to scandals and fights. I can’t wait to see what all the hype is about for Little Fires Everywhere;I’m sure it won’t disappoint.

3. The Harry Potter series

I always associate the holidays with Harry Potter. Maybe it’s the magic of the season and the magic of witches and wizards that makes me want to re-read this series every winter break.  Unless you have been living under a rock for, well your whole life, you know the basic story of Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling’s magical world. The Harry Potter world at Universal Studios and Island of Adventures is going to be transformed for Christmas this year. I’m saving my pennies to be able to see it, so I need to refresh my Hogwarts knowledge so I can get the best experience possible.

4. The Handmaid’s Tale

I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I have not read this novel yet. The Handmaid’s Tale is narrated by Offred, or “of Fred”, a women living in a society where women are strictly controlled and are assigned to different classes by men. As someone who is trying to learn more about feminism and what it means to me, this is a must-read. Since I unfortunately do not have HBO, I can’t watch the popular TV series. That’s okay, though, I’m usually in the “the book was better” camp.

5. Killers of the Flower Moon

Killers of the Flower Moon is The Amazon’s Editors Pick for the Best Book of 2017. That honor speaks for itself. Killers is a non-fiction telling of the Osage Indian Nation. They were the richest group of people per capita in the world in the 1920s due to oil that was discovered in their land. Suddenly, members of the Osage Indian Nation were murdered. The FBI, fairly new at the time, took up the case, but dealt with it poorly. As a history major, it is amazing to see a non-fiction title honored like this.  

As I approach my last final, my anticipation to binge-read during this break grows.  Hopefully you can check out these book over break.  Happy reading!

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.