This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s no secret: Getting a care package in the mail can turn your day around, especially in college amidst all the studying and exams. Well, collegiettes, that time of the semester is upon us. And trust me, a surprise care package is a great pick-me-up from the endless Smokin’Notes packets and Study Edge videos. Below are some tips on how to make the perfect care package for a college student. Whether you want to send one to your friends or your significant other, or even send this link to your parents as a hint, you’ll benefit from these tips.

1. Gift cardsLet’s cut to the chase. Everyone knows college students live on a tight budget (hence the countless packages of Ramen stored in my pantry). With cash in short supply, any college kid will love a gift card. Whether it’s to the local grocery store, Starbucks or a drugstore, this form of payment is always much appreciated. For a special gift, send an iTunes gift card or credit to a favorite store.

2. Home baked goodsThere’s nothing better than homemade baking. My mom’s recipe for chocolate peanut butter cookies is the best that has ever been created. Opening a box to find homemade treats is a fantastic surprise. Not only are they a great reminder of home, but they taste good too. A handy trick is to stick a slice of bread in the box to keep the baked goods fresh.

3. Other treatsAlthough they don’t resonate the same as cookies made from scratch, store-bought food items can also put a smile on a college kid’s face. Whether it’s your favorite candy, Chex Mix or some chips, collegiettes love their junk food. I especially love when I receive food I can take on-the-go during my hectic schedule.

4. A handwritten letterIt’s nice to hear you’ve been missed, so a little note mailed with love also makes the list as one of the best things to put in a care package. Sometimes it’s the thoughtful little things that mean the most. It doesn’t have to be long — just a few short sentences to remind the recipient of how much you care.

5. The necessitiesI don’t know about you, but I put off buying boring things like shaving cream and other toiletries as long as possible. Packing in a new toothbrush, a few bars of soap or a sweet smelling body wash helps us stock up so we don’t have to do so ourselves.

With these items packed nicely in a box, any college student should be extremely happy. Hopefully you know someone who could benefit from a care package right about now. Just remember, it’s the thought that counts. If you have a best friend who goes to a different school far away, send him or her some of these goodies as a reminder of how much he or she means to you.

Photo credit:www.‪parents.blog.gustavus.edu